HomeMy WebLinkAboutbedford-street_0057 Dzw64; e-d
AREA FORM NO.
FORM B - BUILDING 4.11
MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION _
294 WASHINGTON STREET, BOSTON, MA 02108
own Lexington
ddress 57 Bedford Street
historic Name Lexington Lumber
Sol IN
��� s� Company
EEE FEE
— _ ase: Present lumber storage and sales
Original lumber storage and sales
DESCRIPTION:
- ate 1912
Source Lexington Minute Man, Dec. 30, 1971
+ SKETCH MAP
Show property's location in relation Style nineteenth century monitor roof mill
to nearest cross streets and/or
geographical features. Indicate Architect
all buildings between inventoried
property and nearest intersection. Exterior wall fabric clapboards
Indicate north.
Outbuildings three large auxiliary
buildings
Major alterations (with dates)
0
�d
CIO, Moved Date
,�4o¢ � Approx. acreage 4.31 A.
Recorded by Anne Grady Setting Part of retail/office district
Organization Lexington Historical Commission just north of Lexington Center.
Date April, 1984
a
(Staple additional sheets here)
ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE (Describe important architectural features and
evaluate in terms of other buildings within the community.)
One of three industrial buildings to survive in Lexington Center, this
building, although built in 1912, is in the style of a nineteenth century
clerestory-monitor-roofed mill. It has seen little change since its original
construction. Also noteworthy is the brick structure immediately to the north.
Apparently always a Lexington Lumber Company building, it is in the style of an
early twentieth century garage. There are three elliptical arches fitted with
garage doors. A slightly peaked parapet finished with cyma reversa curves at
(see Continuation Sheet)
HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE (Explain the role owners played in local or state
history and how the building relates to the development of the community.)
"One of the oldest, continually operating businesses in Lexington . . .
the Lexington Lumber Company [was] formerly known as Whitcher's Grain Mill. It
began selling lumber in 1883 behind what is today the Bay Bank-Harvard Trust
Company on Massachusetts Avenue. The company moved to its present location in
1912" (Kelley 1980:30) . George Briggs and William Smith were the owners when
these buildings were built. An entry on the 1918 Sanborn map indicates that
the brick building was built in 1913.
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES (name of publication, author, date and publisher)
Kelley, Beverly Allison. Lexington, A Century of Photographs, p. 30. Boston:
Lexington Historical Society, 1980.
Lexington Minute Man, December 30, 1971.
1918 Sanborn map
e
IOM - 7/82
INVENTORY FORM CONTINUATION SHEET Community: Form No:
MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL CCRAff SS I ON Lexington 411
Office of the Secretary, Boston
Property Name: 57 Bedford Street
Indicate each item on inventory form which is being continued below.
ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE
either side surmounts the facade and masks a gable roof. Lexington Lumber
Company's initials in rather art nouveau lettering are in a medallion at the center
of the parapet. There are two large wooden storage sheds to the rear of the
property.
Mal
�-- Arm
Staple to Inventory form at bottom