Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAbout1929-11-19 416 SELECTMEN'S MEETING - NOV. 19, 1929. 45 The regular meeting of the Board of Selectmen was held at the Selectmen' s Office , Town Office Building at 7 30 P.M. Messrs . Burnham, Custance , Chamberl4in, Blake and Shannon were present. The Supt. of Public Works and the Clerk were also present. Hill St. A new order giving the description of the layout of Hill Street was signed by the Board. It was voted to make this layout after the hearing on November 5, 1929. COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS Middlesex, ss. Lexington, Mass. Nov. 5, 1929. Town of Lexington, Selectmen's Room. At a meeting of the Board of Selectmen of the Town of Lexington, after having given written notice of the intention of said Board, as required by law, to lay out as a town way Hill Street from Bedford Street to Cedar Street, all as hereinafter more fully appears , and after public hearing thereon held on the 5th day of November, 1929 and no objections having been made; Now, upon consideration of the matter, it is ORDERED that the Board of Selectmen is of the opinion that public necessity and convenience reiuire that said Hill Street be laid out and established as a public town way, and tl e same hereby is laid out and established as a public town vR v respectively as follows - The northerly line of Hill Street begins at a point in the westerly line of Bedford Street, said point being distant 56.37 feet northwesterly of the angle point in said westerly line of Bedford Street opposite Revere Street , thence bearing to the right with a curve of 13.50 feet radius distant 19.44 feet to a point of reverse curvature , thence bearing to the left with a curve of 274.46 feet radius distant 129.95 feet to a point of reverse curvature, thence bearing to the right with a curve of 597.93 feet radius distant 371.95 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 57028' west distant 94.86 feet to a point of curvature , thence bearir?; +o the right with a curve of 200.35 feet radius distant 168.84 feet to a point of tangency, thence north 740 15 ' west distant 221.18 feet to a point of111 curvature , thence bearing to the right with a curve of 434.78 feet radius distant 135.07 feet to a point of tangency, thence north 560 27 ' west distant 76.00 feet to a point of curvature , thence benring to the left with 417 poiliEv8f0W614# fsEhEnslatgiqgnM7gollaw42taint 200.01 ft. to a point of curvature , thence bearing to the left with a curve of 457 .32 feet radius distant 243.71 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 410 32 ' 30" west distant 135.35 feet to a point of curvature , thence bearing to the left with a curve of 681.46 feet radius distant 276.43 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 180 18 ' west distant 123.69 feet to a point of curvature , thence bearing to the right with a curve of 979.24 felt radius distant 202.10 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 300 071 30" west distant 114.48 feet to a point of curvature , thence bearing to the left with a curve of 896. 57 feet radius distantt 208.90 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 160 461 30" west distant`385.43 feet to a point of curvature , thence bearing to the right with a curve of 670.74 feet radius distant 312.37 feet to a point of compound curvature , thence bearing to the right with a curve of 268.00 feet radius distant 293.12 feet to a point in the easterly line of Cedar Street. The southerly line of Hill Street begins at a point in the westerly line of Bedford Street , said point being distant 20.64 feet southeasterly of the angle point in said westerly line of Bedford Street opposite Revere Street, thence bearing to the left with a curve of 13.50 feet radius distant 22.66 feet to a point of compound curvature , thence bearing to the left with a curve of 224.46 feet radius distant 97.77 feet to a point of reverse curvature , thence beoring to the right with a curve of 647.93 feet radius distant 403.05 feet to a point of tangency, thence soi.th 570 28 ' west distant 94.86 feet to a point of curvature , thence bearing to the right with a curve of 250.35 feet radius distant 210.97 feet to a point of tangency, thence north 74° 151 west distant 221.18 feet to a point of curvature thence bearing to the right with a curve of 484.78 feet radius distant 150.61 feet to a point of reverse curvature thence bearing to the left with a curve of 416.09 feet radius distant 373.82 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 720 04 ' 30" west distant 124.01 feet to a point of curvature, thence bearing to the left with a curve of 407.32 feet radius distant 217.06 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 410 321 30" west distant 135.35 feet to a point of curvature, thence bearing to the left with a curve of 631.46 feet radius distant 256.16 feet to a point of tangency thence south 180 181 west distant 123.69 feet to a point of curvature , thence bearing to the right with a curve of 1029.24 feet radius distant 212.42 feet to a pOint of tangency, thence south 300 07 ' 30" west distant 114.48 feet to a point of tarvature, thence bearing to the left with a curve of 846.57 feet radius distant 197 .25 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 16° 461 30" west distant 385.43 feet to a point of curvature, thence bearing to the right with a curve of 720.74 feet radius distant 335.66 feet to a point of tangency, thence south 430 271 30" west 418 distant 136.29 feet to a point of curvature, thence AS bearing to the left with a curve of 42.91 feet radius distant 68.36 feet to a point of tangency with the easterly line of Cedar Street, said point being marked by a stone bound. The above described lines are parallel with and 50.00 feet distant from each other except 9t the curved intersections with Bedford Street and Cedar Street, and along the curve of 416.09 feet radius in the southerly line of Hill Street. The above d scription is intended to conform to the plan of said street entitled , "Plan of I1i11 Street , Lexington, Mass. , as Laid Out by the Board of Selectmen, Scale 1 inch - 40 feet, Oct. 1, 1929, John T. Cosgrove, Town Engineer, " said plan is r'ivided into five lengths on sheets numbered from 1 to 5 inclusive which clan is on file in the Town Clerk ' Office in said Lexington and a copy of which will be recorded with Middlesex South District Deeds with a cony of this order. And said Board having considered the question of damages sustained by the owners of lands across and through wl-ich said ways have been laid out andestablished as aforesaid, hereby determines that no damages are sustained and no damages are awarded, and said Board hereby declares that all acts done herein are done under the provisions of law authorizing the assessment of betterments.. Albert H. Burnham Board Theodore A. Custance Clarence Shannon of Francis Chamberlain Hallie C. Blake Selectmen. Sunday License for a Sunda, entertainment , entitled, Entertainment"Beginning of Life" to be held on November 24 nt the license. Unitarian Church was signed by the Board. Report was received from Russell I. Prentiss, Health Inspector, regarding the keeping of pigs by William J. Lenry as fellows Nov. 19 , 1929 Honorable Board of Selectmen Lexington, Mass . Gentlemen Mr. William J. Leary, 116 Vine Street, has six small pigs on his premises which are being ' opt without n permit. I did not see him personally but his son said that they mere collecting garbage around 419 Town. There is a lot of waste garbage around his place Leary which is evidence that he collects much more than he report . can dispose of be feeding. In regard to the pigs , I recommend that he be nmtified that his permit was not granted am that the Regulations allow him only to beer two p1 s . As soon as I actually see him collecting and transporting garbage , I will proceed to enfore the Regulations regarding this matter. Yours very truly, Russell I. Pr^ntiss Health Inspector. The Board decided to notify Mr. Leary that he was allowed to keen only twc pigs without a nermit and that they will not grant him a permit to keep more than two pigs on his premises. His attention was also called to the fact that he should also discontinue the collection of garbage . Report was also received from the Health Report re Inspector stating that he was proceedinf to summons Fronk Canisius Frank Canisius , Ward Street, to Court for violation of the order of collecting garbage. Report was received from the Health Inspector giving the report of conditions at the house owned by James Barrett on Garfield Street and occupied by the Ingram family. Miss Ball of Bloomfield Street who employes Mrs. Iikram's'daughter, reported to the office that Report of the family had been over-come by sewer gas. Mr. Complaint Prentiss investigated and found that Mr. Barrett had re sewer gas employed Mr. Robert Watt to fix the cesspool. It appears that the house was built over a cesspool and later a septic tank was connected with the cesspool and this caused the trouble. Mr. Prentiss reported that the case was not closed. Pasteurization of mil'{ licenses were signed for Pasteuri7ation the following: of milk licenses. Frank H. Reed, Lowell Street Sewnson Brothers , 210 ? arrett Road Patrick Shanahan, 60 Pleasant Street Arthur 3. Tyler, 27 Maple Street Letter was received from the Town Counsel in which he statedthat according to the division of the Town of Lexington as reneived from the Secretary of the Commonwealth as taken from the Division of Archives , the Town of Lexington was not entitled to spend any money for the Tercentenary celebration inasmuch as they were not dividdd in 1629-30. 420 The Board discussed the advisability of having = an Act put through the Legislature to secure auttior- 46 ity to spend funds for this purpose. Tercentenary The Clerk reportedthat in conversation with Celebration. Mr. Harold Lamont, Chairman of the Tercentenary Committee, Mr. Lamont stilted that he talked with Mr. George E. Briggs about having an Act passed by the Legislature, and Mr. Brigs did not seem to be enthused by the idea. He therefore thought that he hadbetter wait until he gets his committee together and have them decide what they think should be done. Mr. Custance reported that Mr. Lamont had come to the conclusion of having a large general committee rather than a small one for the Tercentenary. Request was receivedfrom the Lafayette Club asking for reduced rate for the use of Cary Memorial Layfayette Hall on November 25 for a dance which is to be run request by them for the benefit of the St . Vincent de Paul Society. The Board decided to grant the request and give them a $25. rate. Request was received from Mr. Howard E. Custanee Reduced rate for the reduced rate for the use of Cary Memorial Hall for Baptist on December 10 to raise funds for the Baptist Church. Church. The Board also voted to grant the reduced rate of $25. in this case . Water commitment in the amount of $1478.34 Water & Sewer and Sewer commitment in the amount of S337.37 were Commitments. signed by the Board. Another letter was received from Mr. H. D. Love 1361 Mass . Ave. making demand upon the Board of Selectmen to have the yellow signal light of the H D. Love 's Traffic signals run for a longer period of time complaint re so that -pedestrians could have a chance to cross signal lights . the highway, and also that the yellow light be tanned on between the pled- 1 andgmeen.lights, in addition to betreen the The Board d ,cid.ed to acknowledge receipt ofreen and red Mr. Lovers letter. lights . The Clerk renorted that verbal comnli•ant had been received from Mrs. S. Lewis Barbour regarding traffic signals . Icer compliant was that pedestrians Complaint of could not get across the street owing to the short Mrs . Barbour time the yellow signal showed and that when walking re timing of on the red signal on M- ss . Ave . near the corner of lights. Waltham Street , the green light on Waltham Street allowed the traffic to turn up Mass . Avenue crossing the 0 oss walk and for that reason there did not seem to be any protection for pedestrians She also stated that there was not sufficient time to Bross the street at Clarke Street et the C-ry Libr,ry on the yellow light as she had to return several times after starting across the street. 421 Abatement in the amount of •73l58. was signed by the Board for bill against Antonio Buss for care of his daug ter at the Reading Sanatorium When the abatement of Buse child was placed in the hospital the Public E' alth Busa bill. Nurse stated that they did not have funds to rav for her board Later it was considered that this family did have funds and an attempt was made to collect the bill from them. They, however, did not believe that they should ray the bill inasmuch as they stated that it was represented to them that there would be no charge . The periodof time of two years was eXpired for coil ction in cases of this kind , and it was therefore decided to abate the bill , as the Town Counsel felt there was a doubt whether he could collect the bill if he took it to Court. Sunday Sales License was signed for Iienry H. Dix Sunday Sales of Baker Avenue, three satisfactory letters having License. been received as to his character. Letter was received from the Lovell Bus Line Inc. stating that in accordance with the relUest of the people in the Lowell Street district at the previous Lovell Bus hearing on service in that section, they desire to service. travel to Lexington Center. He therefore , asked whether or not the Board would considersan application for service from 'Voburn and Lowell Streets to Lexington Center, thence up Lincoln Street to the Five Forks and up Marrett Ro9r1 to approximately Cary Avenue. The Board voted that as soon as this application was received from Mr. Lovell, to advertise a hearing for service in this section. Mr. Daniel J. Ofeonnell came before the Board and presented prospective plan of the Lexington Co- Cooperative operative Bank building proposed to be placed upon the Bank Bldg. lot where the present Cooperative Bank is located. Mr. O 'Connell stated that he was aware of the fact that the Board desired to widen Mass. Avenue and this is why he came in to see, whether or not the widening was to take place in the near future or whether he should place his building back on the new lines. He stated that the Cooperative Bank will probably not stay where it is for three years . He was desirous.: of having them for a tenant and they are d-sirous of new quarters inasmuch as they have outgrown the present quarters, and he did not wish to place the building on the rres-nt line if in the near future a widening is to be made. On the other hand , he did not wish to place whe building back in the alley- way between the other buildings, as he felt this would not be a proper place for a bank. The Board informed him that they believe that in the near future the street would be widened out and it wouldnot be good business for him to build the building on the present line. The Board advised Mr. 0 /Connell that he should write a letter in to them setting forth his nroposition. 422 The Supt. of Public Works reported regarding UNAIM the investigation of the condition at Bedford and. AR North Hancock Streets as complained of by Edward W. Beacon, Taylor. He reported that a flashing beacon would help Bedford & No. the situation, but he would have to get the approval Hancock Sts . of the State Dent of Public worka before putting it up. He stated that there is already a warning sign notifying drivers that there is a road right on Bedford Street a short distance from No. Hancock Street. He felt there might probably be an objection from the people patronizing the filling station of the location of a beacon. He felt, however, that the beacon would not be of any use unless the drivers going north on Bedford Street could see it before they pass the end of the street. The Board decided to accept the recommendation of the Supt. of Public Works . The Supt. of Public "forks also reported in regard to the lot of land on 'Valtham Street owned by Mr. Neil McIntosh about which he wrote regarding the settlement of damages . McIntosh He reported that the land is some 10 or 151 below lot. the surfece of 'altham Street and needs to be filled in before it can be used for building. He suggested that the Board agree to dump a reasonable amount of filling onto the lot to a point beyond the actual taking. He felt that if any damage had occurred on the property there , that it would be an unnecessary expense to build a retaining wall that w-uld not be of any use . It was decided to notify Mr McIntosh regarding the report of the Supt. Needs of The Supt. of Public ''' orks gave a detailed report Police Dept. of the expenditures of the Police Department and stated that the Dent. is in need of $'?18.32 to complete the year. The Supt. was requested to go over the figures again and bring in a definite recommendation as to the needs of the Police Dept. on next Tuesday evening. Letter was received from the Planning Board Cerussi Rd. stating that they approved the layout of 80' roadway from Mass. Avenue to Vine Brook Road, to take the place of the 1001 roadway originally planned. The Board will now have to proceed to re-advertise a hearing on the establishing of a new layout. Approval of Letter was received from the Planning Board in Spencer St. which they stated that they approved of the layout of the extension of Spencer Street. It was therefore decided to advertise a hearing on this Board of Survey layout. ' Letter was received from the Planning Board stating that they had voted in their opinion that no objection appears to the installation of street lights in Hinchey Road 423. The Board replied that inasmuch as the Board of Lights in Survey Act requires that no public utilities be Hinchey Rd. installed in a highway until it has the anrroval of II the Board of Survey, they would be pleased to be advised as to whether or not the Planning Board approved the layout of Hinchey Road as a Board of Survey street . Letter was received from C. E. Hadley, President of the Hadley Press , in which he asked what could be Request, done about installing a light on Oak Street, near the light, Oak entrance to their plant. Street It was left with the Supt. of Public "torks to investigate the condition and report to the Board his recommendation. Tentative date was set for a Town Meeting to be Town Meeting. held on December 16, 1929. It was decided to grant the American Legion Legion hall Auxiliary the use of Care Memorial Hall for their for 45. - fair held on Nov. 7, 1929 in the afternoon for $5.00. The plan of Five Forkt as studied by the Planning Board and drawn by the Town Engineer was before the Board. When the application of Richard Whittemore for a gasoline filling station was to be considered, the Planning Board asked that action be delayed until they Five Forks had an opportunity to stddy the corner. The plan a$ layout. made by the Town Engineer did not show any change in the corner where the filling station was applied for, except the usual rounding of a curve. Mr Emery reported to the Clerk that as far as the Planning Board was concerned, this corner would be -unehanged. This application being held up for this reason the Board decided to take action on the same , and voted that it; was the sense of the Board that a gasoline permit be granted to Richard Thittemore at the corner of Lincoln Street and Marrett Road when the proper plans R Vhittan re for the filling tation are filed and under the ap'plication usual conditions that cover the granting of permits, granted . such as the defining of entrances , construction of concrete sidewalks, and taking down of unnecessary trees. The Board did not feel entirely satisfied with the study of the Plan of the "Five Forks , inasmuch as the location of streets now existing still remain, with the exception of making the run-off from Lincoln Street to the State Road a one-way street. The plan still left the five corners , and the Board felt this was not the idea represented to them in the first instance by the Planning Board, and that the triangle should be done away with, and streets brought to eliminate the triangle, similar to the condition at Marrett Road and Waltham Street. It was decided to ask the Planning Board for a 424 c report on the plan. Mr. Gust-Ince reported that with the payment of `k50. to Mr. Robert P Trask, the Town could enter the Ripley sewer into his sewer. It was felt that this was a very good prorosition, and should be accepted and the sewer connected while the work is being done on Mass . Avenue . The weekly report of the Supt. of Public 'forks is as follows For the week ending November 16, 1929. Highway Department. The curbing on Mass. Ave. in front of the Colonial Block has been set back fifteen feet and that part of the street has been graded , dressed and rolled . It is necess?ry that this department during the next two or three weeks should be occupied with the work of cleaning gutters and catch basins before the freezing weather sets in and also to erect snow fence and rrepare snow equipment for service. This work should be taken care of now before the ground freezes. Moth and Shade Tree Dept. Gypsy and Brown Tail moth nests have been treated with creosote in ',"'estview Street, ;'Sinter Street, West- view Cemetery, Waltham Street and Allen Street. This work will occupy the department next week. Park Department. Work of constructing one new tennis court has been carried on during the past week as well as the regular maintenance and will occupy the time of the department next week. Water Maintenance le have installed a water service for Ellis on Wac}-usett Dt1V6: . Water Construction. One carload of 6" water ripe has been unloaded. 7oru was started on the evtension of a 12" water mein in Mass. Ave . from Summit Ave to Cedar Street, and aprroximately 1204 of pipe has been laid. Sewer Construction. The 'Mork on the Mass Ave sewer between Au?3i 425 Road and Cedar Street is nrogressing very slowly on account of the ledge encountered . Approximately 60' of pipe has been laid The work contemplated for the week ending November " 0th is as follows continuation of Mass. Ave. Sewer job; 12" water main extension in Mass. Ave. from Summit Ave. to Cedar Street . Engineering Dept. Sewers . Lines and grades for c'onstr-7ction of Concord Hill sewer Highways. Refigured and wrote new description of Hill Street. Staved out two intersecting curves at Lowell and Woburn Streets. Finished lines for curb set back at Colonial Block. Completed final plan for la' out of "Five Forks . " Staked out northerly line of Hill Street from Bedford Stre•at to Haynes property. Miscellaneous. Completed survey for fencing at ' estview Cemetery. ' Continued work on " ebb street Tope. Work with Engineer Barnes on plans of Ryder development. Yours very truly, William S. Seamman Supt. of Public works . The meeting adiourned at 8 P Y. true record , Attest Clerk 426 c") SELECTMEN 'S RECORDS za November 26 , 1929. A regular meeting of the Board of Selectmen was held at the Seleetten's Office, Town Office Building at 7 30 P.M. Messrs. Burnham, Custance, Chamberlain, Blake and Shannon were present. The Supt. of Public Works and the Clerk were also present. Letter was received from the Supt. of Public Works in regard to the situation mentioned by Mr Maurice A. Page. The Supt. reported that the plan sent in by Mr. Page was dated 1855 and it was not until 1869 that tot/el-town made a taking extending the street from 25' to 30 ' in width The Supt. stated that he did not Mr. Page 's see any reason why Mr. Page could not move his house sewer and thereby make two house lots from which he would abatement . receive benefit. One of the house lots would have a 75 ' frontage and the other would have a frontage of a less number of feet, but he felt that with an appeal "` to the Board of Appeals this might be allowed, there- fore he did not see any reason for granting an abate- ment on the sewer assessment of $377.04. The Board decided to inform Mr. Page that trey did not see any reason for granting an abatement on the sewer assessment. Question arose as to whether or not if the Town Engineer established bounds for Mr. Page on the property known as the Peat Factory in the East 'Bounds , Lexington Meadows , if the Town of Arlington would Peat Factory have a chance to bring suit against the Town of Lexington owing to the fact that the entire situation regarding the property in the Great Me-doves is so uncertain. Mr. Blake explained that if a person took a tax title deed and the bounds of the property could not be established, he felt that the deed was defective , and if the Land Court could not establish bounds, the money nut into the property would be lost. It was decided, therefore, to instruct the Town Engineer not to proceed any further in trying to establish the bounds of this property tntil after communication has been had with the Town Counsel . It was decided to lay this matter on the table for further discussion on Tuesday evening next. Letter was received from Mr. Frank Hines, Letter, Director, Veterans ' Bureau at Washington, stating Veterans ' that he would have a definite answer within 30 ' Bureau. days as to whether or not the Veterans ' Bureau would be interested in the extension of a water main to the Veterans ' Bureau in Bedford. 427 Letter was received from the Supt. of Public Works in which he recommended that a street light be placed on Oak Street near the entrance to the Street light: Hadley d=ress Plant . The Board also recommended that a street light be placed on the corner of Kendall Road and Waltham Street inasmuch as this is also a dark spot and needs protection. At 8 P M. hearing was declared open on the apnlication of Lucius C. Fairchild for permission L.C.Fairchild to erect a private garage on the corner of Simonds permit Road and Bedford. Street. granted. No persons appeared to object to the petition and it was voted to grant the permit . At 8 05 P.M. hearing was declared open on the retition of the EE.I.co. to locate 17 poles on Grove Street for the purpose of giving electric light service. Mr. Burton W. Hill , owner of property along E.E.I .Petition proposed line, stated that along his property to locate 17 there is a banking that he was afraid if anything poles granted. more was cut away from, it would be rather danger- ous and her-was afraid that his house wouldgo down onto the street. He was informed that the location of the poles would be on the street and not on his property and therefore would not bother him. Mr. Hill felt that if this was so, he would have no objection The Board voted to grant the permit to the E E I Co. The petition of the E E.I.Co, to attach wires E E.I .Co. to one pole on Adams Street north of North Street petition of the New England Tel. & Tel . Co. was granted. granted. At 8 15 P .M. hearing was declared open on the petition of the Lovell Bus Line Inc. for permission to operate busses from the junction of Lowell and Woburn Streets over Woburn Street to Lexington Center, and from Ixington Center up Lincoln Street to Five Forks, thence up Marrett Road to Spring Street. Mr. John F. Lovell was present and stated that at the previous hearing on his application for bus service from the Woburn-Lexington line to Woburn and Lowell Streets and on Lowell Street to the Arlington- Lexington Line , the parties present asked if they could not have service that would bring them into Lexington Center. Mr. Lovell stated that he had not thought of giving this service at that time , but after thinking it over he though of giving this dervice; carrying the people to Lexington Center and also going to the Five Forks and Spring Street would carry the local persons in that territory to Lexington Center, and he would connect, tith the busses coming from Concord at the Five Forks. Mr. Edward S. Payson of Marrett Road stated that he had lived in the Town for 42 years and when he 428 came to the Town it was a farming community and at that time they had horses and carriages on their premises and did not need a bus service. Now the territory in the vicinity of WalthamStreet has become a residential district end is in need of bus service. Lovell Bus He stated that in that section many houses are for petition. sale simply because the people cannot get into the Center of Lexington while the service to Arlington Heights on the Lovell Bus Line has become a tremendous help to the residents in that district. He felt that the people in that section particularly were much better acquainted in the Town bf Arlington than in Lexington Whatever business he had to do was done in Arlington because that was the only means of travel . He did not think this was right inasmuch as the Selectmen by their action could give the people in that vicinity service that would bring them into Lexington Center Yr. Payson sited a case where the Town of Lexington lost two houses that were of a valuation of approximately $45,000 each which would have been built by some friends bf his family had there been any way to travel to the Center of the Town by public conveyance. Mr. Payson also spoke of the present service of the Lovell Bus and stated that the service was splendid. The only objection he had was that the busses stop within 500' of Waltham Street on Marrett Road., and it is very disagreeable in the stormy weather for people to have to get out and wal'r a distance of 500 ' in• the snow and rain in order to transfer to the M &B. St. Ry Co. He felt that this was something that should be remidied. He also asked why the system of transfer from the Lovell Bus Line to the M. & B. St. Ry. Co: had not been accepted . He stated that the section over there was pow a lost colony and shouldbe brought into existence by the facilities for travel. Mr. Charles H SchBfieldstated that in the interest of Real Estate, he felt that this service should be allowed. He only recently leased a piece of property in that section and the only drawback was that they did not have any service coming into Vle Center of the Town. E.J. Viano, President of the Board of Trade stated that the Board. of Trade were very much interested in this proposition and believed that it was for the best interests of the Town to have the transportation so that people would be brought into the Center of the Town to trade. Mr. Walter C. Boone , Middle St. stated that he was in favor of this bus line. Mr. Howard Munroe, Lowell St. , Mr. Edward C. Montgomery, Middle St. , and H. F. Willard, were also present and all stated that they were in favor of this bus line being put into operation. The Board considered the application and voted in favor of granting a permit to the Lovell Bus Line Inc. to operate busses from the junction of Woburn and Lowell 429 Streets to Lexington Centre , thence to Lincoln ,treet and Five Forks and up Marrett Road. to Spring Street. Mr. Jay 0. Richards came before the Board and stated that he had a customer that was interested in purchasing a part of the property of the M. & B. St. Ry. Co. on Bedford Street that is included in the land M.&.B.St.Ry. for which the Town now holds an option. Mr. Richards , Co. proper- felt that before the matter is put up to the Town ty. the Selectmen could release their hold on this part of the property so that this party could purchase that part, and the 'town could then hold the balance of the property on option to be considered for purchase at the next Town Meeting. The Board felt that inasmuch as there was s spur track on this property and a ripht-of-way in question, they should not make any decision right away without viewing the entire pronerty and requested the Supt. of Public Works to have the Town Engineer put in stakes where the purchases d,sires to purchase the property, dividing it off so that they would have sn opportunity to see how much of the land was desired by the purchaser, andto meet on Thursday morning, Nov. 28, 1929, at 9 o 'clock at the M. &B.St. Ry property to view the premises. _ Mr. Eichards figured that the amount of land needed by his customer would be 4*acres,rand that the party interested would pay $8000. for the land; this man was in the sawdust business. The Board viewed the plan showing the proposed precinct division of four precincts for Representative form of Town Goverment and felt that the plans presented would be satisfactory. Division of It was therefore decided to proceed making up Precincts, the voting lists as rewired by the Special act of Rep. Town the Legislature adopted this year, and the final - Government. plans would be presented to the Board at a later date for their approval and filed with the Registrars of Voters and the Town Clerk. Letter was received from the Town Aeebuntant stating that various accounts were in need of money to Accounts carry them through the balance of the year. needing It was decided to refer this list to the Supt. more money. of Public works and ask him' to view the list and bring in his recommendation as to the amounts needed by the various departments at the next meeting . It was also decided to request the Sunt. of Public Works to bring in a list of the vations special departments that the Board should ask the Town Accountant to hold over on his books to next year. In regsrd to the loan in connection with the issuing of bonds for the Water Department, it was Water bonds. decided to -extend the load for 90 days and. Mr. Blake assured,.the Board that they would be able to borrow the money at 5% for 90 days. 430 Money in Savings Bank Notice was received from the Treasurer of the 46 credit of Lexington Savings Bank that the sum of 317,835 Cemetery was in the Lexington Savings Bank to the credit of Trust Funds. the Cemetery Trust Funds Letter was received from the Town Counsel in reply to the Board's letter asking for an estimate Letter, of the amount needed in 1930 for his account. Town Coun- Mr. Wrightington stated in his letter that suggest- eel re. ion had been made to him that he should have an increase in estimate for compensation, and he stated that in the Town of Winchester 1930. the Town Counsel received the salary of $1500 and is paid in addition for preparing contracts or by-laws or any other work, and that their appropriation for the Law Department is $2500. He stated that the Town Counsel of Wellesley received a salary of 1000 .*ith additional compensation. He felt that the appropriation could be the same as last year with the exception of the additional increase in compensation. Letter was received from the Chief of the Fire Denartment,E. W. Taylor, in which he enclosed a Mr.A.B. lengthy report in regard to the building occupied by Field's Mr. A. B. Field and located on Mass. Avenue in East building, Lexington in the rear of property owned by Mr. Norman E.Lexington. Pero. Mr. Taylor stated that considerable stir had started among the neighbors including Mr. Crown and Mr. M. A. Pero and he felt that it might be possible for the Selectmen to chedk the situation. In Mr. Taylor 's report, he didnot state whether the buildin;, was a fire menace but simply gave the conditions of fact regarding the building. The Board felt that Mr. Taylor should be advised that if he consideredthe building a fire menace that it was up to him to act upon the situation. On the other hand, they have already bad inspection by the Building Inspector of the rremises, and he stated that the building is entirely within the business district under the Zoning Law and can be operated as a business. The gasoline tank permit was granted by Mr. Taylor. However, we would again ask the Building Inspector to view the premises. Letter was received from Roy Ferguson asking that bequest for the acceptance of Bertwell Road be taken up again, thict acceptance the part from North Hancock Street to Fuller Road be of Bertwell accepted and also that consideration be given to the Road , expense of the White property on North Hancock Street bordering on this Street when the estimates are pre- pared. It was decided to have the Supt. of Public Works get the Engineering Dept: to prepare another estimate of the cost of construction. Article re Discussion was hadas to whether or not it was Stuart- V/ proper to insert in the warrant of the next Town Meeting Marshall an article regarding the Stuart-Marshall Realty Company Realty Co. proposition, and it was decided to request Mr W. P. 431 Ballard and Town Counsel, S. R. Wrightington to come before the Board next Tuesday evening to talk over the matter. Weekly report of Supt. of Public "forks is as follows : For the week ending November 23, 1929. Highway Dept. Construction of Hill Top Avenue has been completed with the exception of cleaning up the sides. Gutters and catch basins were cleaned and work of preparing snow equipment has been started. Warning signs near Oak Street have been erected. Short piece of sidewalk on Waltham Street has been covered with gravel and stone dust to bring it high enough to th sin into the gutter. Next week the department will be occupied with regular highway maintenance and the preparation of snow equpiment. Moth ift Shade Tree Dept. The department continued the work of treating gypsy and brown tail moth nests on Middle Street, Blossom Street , Walnut Street, Fern Street and Bowman Park and will be occupied with that work next week. Park Department The regular maintenance work has been attended to and excavating work for construction of a tennis court was started during the past week and will occupy the department next week. Water Maintenance. A water renewal has been installed for Brackett on Bedford Street. All hydrants hove been inspected dm to the water in barrels. Water Construction. Approximately 3001 of 12" pipe was laid. in Massachusetts Avenue. Approximately twenty-five men are removing the ledge in Mass'. Ave. between Lake Street and Summit Avenue. Sewer Construction. Approximately 421 of 8" sewer pipe was laid in Mass. Ave. near Cedar Street. Fifteen men are occupied in removing ledge from trench there. 432 ?� The work contemplated for the week ending Zea December 7th is as follows: continuation of Mass. Ave . sewer job; 12° water main extension in Mass. Ave. from Sum^,it Ave. to Cedar Street. Etigineering Dept. Sewers. Lines and grades for construction of Concord Hill Sewer. Highways . Staged out proposed line of Bow Street. Miscellaneous. Staked out location for new school building on Allen Street. Continued work on Webb Street Topo. Traced new Block Plan sheets. Made two studies for dividing Town of Lexington into four precincts. Checked lines and grades of extension of Spencer Street. Yours very truly, William S. Seaman Supt. of Public Works. The meeting adjourned at 10 08 P.M. A true record , attest: Clerk. 1