HomeMy WebLinkAbout1922-04-25�I
' MEETING, APRIL 25, 1922.
All Members Present.
The records of the last meeting were read and approved.
Pix. Merry, ,Principal of the High School, came before the
Board with the request that some reduction be made in the charge
for the use of the Town Hall for a dance to be given on Friday
evening, April 28th, by pupils of the High School for the benefit
of Fred Newhall who was injured by playing baseball and as a
result will have to have an operation.
As admission will be charged and the Selectmen's regulations
call for a charge for the use of the Hall in case of admission,
it was suggested to Mr. Merry that he get the rental charge by
popular subscription.
Mr. Willard C. Hill and Edwin B. Worthen came before the
Board relative to boiler insurance. Mr. Hill presented a schedule
which represented his study of the boiler policies now held by
the town and gave his recommendation of placing blanket boiler
insurance.
The Board voted to adopt the plan presented by Mr. Hill
-and all expiring boiler policies will be endorsed by the London
Guarantee and Accident Co. through Mr. Hill, and credit given
to the agents now carrying said policies.
It was also voted to include the crack and fracture
endorsement on all Cast Iron Sectional boilers.
It was voted to place renewal of policy of $13,000 on
town of Lexington property expiring May 23, 19220 formerly
placed thru B. F. Brown & Sons, through Jay 0. Richards.
Letter was received from Mr. W. H. Ballard of the Com-
mittee appointed to consider the advisability of the Townts
taking the Railroad plot on Mass. Ave. at Depot Square, asking
for the records of proceedings at the meeting at which
Mr. Richards offered the option to the Town.
Copy of the Selectmen's records, Town records, and of
the letter sent to Mr. Richards were sent to Mr. Ballard.
Mr. Richards was also sent copies of the records.
Permission was granted to the Lexington Gas Co, to
excavate at 4 Raymond Street for the purpose of installing
gas service, the.Town Engineer and Supt of Water & Sewer Dept.
having approved the location.
Mr. Wesley T. Wadman, Building Inspector, came before
the Board and called attention to several houses about the
torn that did not comply with the Building Laws.
He called attention to the house of Bougee on School St;
102
Allen on Greenwood St; Button on Greenwood Street; Morrill on
Lowell Street, also to the work being done on the Dr. Thompson
house on Oak Street, Charles Yates on Taft Avenue. Mr. Wadman
also informed the Board that three families were living in the
one family house of O'Halloran on Waltham Street. Mr. Burnham
and Wadman were to inspect the O'Halloran house.
In regard to inforcing the Building Law on the above men-
tioned houses, Mr. Wadman was informed that if he follows the
building laws and Imowe that he is right, the Board will back
him up.
In connection with demolition of the houses of Spector on
Maes. Avenue near the Rest, Mr. 4adman was informed by the Town
Counsel that he had authority to order the frames now existing
to be taken down. Mr. Ryder was requested to prepare a notice
to serve on Mr. Spector.
Land Court notice relative to land of Margaret V. T. Doherty,
et al, on Lee St, No. Lexington was turned over to Mr. Duffy for
his attention.
n
In accordance with the suggestion of Mr. Ryder, it was voted
to appoint Robert H. Holt as Counsel to prosecute for the town
in the Cerussi case, and the Acting Chief of Police was so notified.
This is in connection with Cerussi being held for transporting
liquor in Lexington. Mr. Ryder has been Mr. Ceruesi's counsel
in many casee, therefor the appointment of outside counsel in
this case.
The following pole locations were granted:
Joint - New England Tel. & Tel. Co. and Edison Elec. Ill. Co.
Lowell St. from Lexington -Arlington line to Ueetminister
Ave. six poles.
Also to remove five Edison Elec. Ill Co. poles. Lowell St. from
approximately 250 feet northwest of Reed St. running Northwesterly,
3 poles.
Also to remove three Edison Electric Ill. Co. poles and two
N. E. T. & T. Co. poles.
Joint - New England Tel &.Tel. Co. and Edison Elec. I11. Co.
Bddford St. from Shirley St. southeasterly, one pole.
Joint - New England Tel & Tel. Co. and Edison Elec. Ill. Co.
Lowell St. from Maple St. northerly, three poles.
Also remove three Edison zlec. Ill. Co. poles.
Lowell St. from Maple Ste southeasterly, six poles.
Also to remove four Edison Elec. Ill. Co. poles and one
N. Be T. & T. Co. pole.
Town Counsel reported to the Board that Mr. Robinson of
the Breck-Robinson Nursery Co. asked his opinion in regard to
the proposition of that company of brirang their mail order de-
partment to Lexington. This would mean the construction of a
building costing about $175,000 and bringing about 150 people
to Lexington to be employed therein. Mr. Robinson wondered
what the attitude of the town would be in regard to exemption
of taxation or assessment or if they would offer any inducement
to establish here. He informed Mr. Ryder that one or two other
towns would givethem 20 years without taxation, and another
1
1
u
i Ulm
town said that they would make special inducement.
Mr. Ryder stated that he informed Mr. Robinson that he
did not know of any statute under which the town had authority
to offer him a proposition of this kindo unless it was by special
legislation, and then he did not believe it constitutional.
Mr. Ryder stated that the Breck-Robineon Nursery Co. would
soon approach the Board to find out its attitude in the matter.
An opinion was received from the 'Town Counsel on street
permit signs. He advised that no bond need be required when a
permit is granted for signs overhanging sidewalks, and that the
town is not liable in such cases.
It was voted to grant the application of John A. )'Brien
for a permit to hang a restaurant sign over the sidewalk at
468 Mass. Ave.
Insurance policy amounting to $5,000 on town of Lexington
issued through the office of Edwin B. Worthen was approved.
Letter was received, from Edwin B. Worthen giving tentative
suggestions as to lay out of Forest Sty Extension to Mass. Ave.
and Highland Avenue to Middle Street, these suggestions to be
carried out so that in 1925 traffic will be easily handled.
The matter of street lights on North St. was laid over.
It was voted to have the street lights turned off at
2 o'clock in the morning on and after May 1, 1922.
Bir. Cotton reported that he did not find anything in the
statutes prohibiting the Selectmen from making regulations regard-
ing traffic.
It was voted to appoint Weeley T. Wadman. Building Inspect-
or for the year ending Apr. 1, 1923.
It was decided to request Mr. Duffy to make a survey of
land of Edward C. Stone on Hancock St. which Mr. Stone offered to
the town.
In this connection Mr. Duffy was also requested to look
up the County plans on the relocation of Hancock St. to see if
this was included.
Mr. Burnham inquired as to where the fees went to that
were paid for garage and gasoline licenses at the Engine house.
Mr. Scammen agreed to enquire about the same.
Parks and Playgrounds.
Mr. Blake reported that he had application from Francis H.
Ready for the use of the play ground on April 30th for a baeeball
game,
I
It was voted to grant
no admission was charged.
Mr. Garrity was also
him the use of the ground provided
notified to that effect.
1®4
Nater and Sewer.
Town Counsel Robert L. Ryder and Norris F. Comley of
Burlington, came before the Board to discuss the claim of
the town against said Comley in connection with a guarantee
for water furnished to houses of Comley on Winter St. for
the years 1918, 1919 and 1920.
Mr. Comley claimed that he did not receive the proper
credits for water rates on these houses. Mr. Ryder explained
that the Water Department turned the collection of the bill
over to him and that Mr. Comley offered $75 to settle same
rather than go to Court. The face of the bill was $78.50
and the costs paid by Mr. Ryder amounted to $5. After consider-
able discussion the Board offered Mr. Comley the proposition
of settling for the face of the bill and costs, which he so did.
Mr. Tenney read the special report of Robert Spurr +Yeston,
the Sanitary Engineer employed by the Board to investigate and
report on the Audubon Road -McCaffrey drain, so called, and after
consideration it was unanimously Voted: That the Board send a
copy of the report to each of the property owners effected by
the existing situation and that Doe and Patterson be notified
to reconstruct their cess -pools and construct a drain in con-
nection therewith substantially in accordance with Engineer
Weston's report and further that the Board, upon completion of
such work by Doe and Patterson, will enter the McCaffrey land
and clean, widen and deepen the brook so that the surface drain-
age situation in this area will be further improved,
The Board looked over the levels taken off by Mr. Duffy of
the Munroe brook.
In connection with this a letter was written to the Arling-
ton Public Works asking them to take action upon the matter as
requested in the letter of the Board dated March 31, 1922, as
this Board desire to present some proposition to the Town Meet-
ing, May 15.
Mr. Beaudry and Mr. Duffy were instructed to study this
drainage proposition and report estimate of the cost of work.
A true record, Attest:
CLERK.
►;L7
1
1
1