Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 16 WEBB STREET <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> Screened by a row of large arborvitae,the house at 16 Webb Street is a hip-roofed bungalow set on a rubble foundation and <br /> sheathed in wood shingles. The overhanging eaves display characteristic exposed rafter tails. There is a hip-roofed dormer <br /> rising from the front roof slope, a shed dormer on the south side and a curved modernistic addition emerging from the back roof <br /> slope. The main entry is recessed slightly. Historic windows include rectangular bay windows and double-hung sash with <br /> multiple lights in the upper sash over a single light lower sash. <br /> To the southwest of the house is a hip-roofed,two car garage with two overhead garage doors, a hip dormer and exposed rafter <br /> tails. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This property consists of lots 28-31 of the Battleview Park subdivision laid out by James E. Burke in November 1913 (Plan <br /> Book 224, Plan 14). The subdivision included buildings on Woburn,Fernald,Dunham,First to Fifth Streets,Webb and Young <br /> Streets. This is one of the few lots built upon originally. Today the neighborhood primarily dates to the late 20th century. <br /> In August 1914 Burke sold the four lots to Herbert D. Williams who worked as a motorman(Book 3926,Page 516). The house <br /> was constructed soon thereafter as Williams is listed as living here in the 1915 directory. In 1923 the house was sold by <br /> Williams to Margaret Mactavish. She sold it three years later to Horace Burgess. The house was sold by Arley Burgess's estate <br /> to the town in 1928. <br /> By 1942 the property was owned by Ralph and Dora Frissore. He was employed as a carpenter/contractor. The property <br /> remained in the family until the 1970s. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Middlesex County Register of Deeds, Cambridge, Mass. <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />