Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:39:46 PM
9/18/2018 2:39:45 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
INVENTORY FORM CONTINUATION SHEET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION <br /> Office of the Secretary of State, Boston <br /> Indicate each item on inventory form which is being continued below. <br /> NATIONAL REGISTER CRITERIA STATEMENT - Continued <br /> . . .Greek Revival trim survive to illustrate indigenous building forms <br /> at mid-century in Lexington when the town was still a rural farming <br /> community. Other remaining examples include: 40 Fern Street (B Form <br /> 525) , 847 Massachusetts Avenue (B Form 228) , 996. Massachusetts Avenue <br /> (B Form 243) , 49 Parker Street (B Form 426) , and 113 Waltham Street- <br /> (B Form 451) . <br /> The survival of the Richardson House in its present location adjacent <br /> to the central business district is particularly noteworthy. Once a <br /> part of a cohesive 19th century streetscape (see attached <br /> illustration) , the Richardson House is one of the few 19th century <br /> vernacular wood frame structures to survive so close to Lexington ' s <br /> major intersection, and is the least altered. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE - Continued <br /> Alterations apparently include the front door, Italianate in style <br /> with two arched, glazed panels , . and a Victorian window with small <br /> stained glass panes on the left (north) wall of the entry. The <br /> foundation of the main body of the house is brick. There is a <br /> single, narrow central chimney. The single-story rear ell, added <br /> before 1875, has finishes and trim similar to those on the rest of <br /> the house . The ell foundation, however , is fieldstone . <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE - Continued <br /> The junction of Waltham Street, and Massachusetts Avenue , a block <br /> north of the Richardson House, had been the major crossroad in <br /> Lexington since the 17th century. As the town grew in the mid-19th <br /> century, and particularly after the introduction of the railroad in <br /> 1846 , the center expanded and new streets were laid out . Waltham <br /> Street , one of the first areas to be built up, remained a locus of <br /> residential buildings until after World War II . Thereafter brick <br /> commercial buildings gradually replaced the majority of the houses . <br /> Staple to Inventory Form at Bottom <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.