Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:39:18 PM
9/18/2018 2:39:17 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
7. Original owner (if known) Dr. Howland Holmes, renovated by son Frank <br /> Original use Barn <br /> Subsequent uses (if any) and dates Post office - 1924, Alvin's Store 1938 <br /> 8. Themes (check as many as applicable) <br /> Aboriginal Conservation Recreation <br /> Agricultural Education Religion <br /> Architectural Exploration/ Science/ <br /> The Arts settlement invention <br /> Commerce Industry Social/ <br /> Communication Military humanitarian <br /> Community development Political Transportation <br /> 9. Historical significance (include explanation of themes checked above) <br /> (House originally associated with barn, called \-1entrance house, belonged <br /> to Muzzey family on corner of Mass. Ave & Waltham, entrance only on Waltham. Bought <br /> 1851 by Dr. Holmes.Torn down 1925.) <br /> Descrip cont: weathervane survives - window in gable peak may be old. ( 6 x 1 panes) <br /> wing to right (2 story) to enlarge shop. <br /> Historical significance (continued) <br /> See Lexington Minute Man newspaper, May 13, 1982, article by Alice Hinkle <br /> on Holmes family and converted barn. See archives of the Lexington Historical <br /> Society for ink and wash drawing of Dr. Holmes' house. <br /> S. Lawrence Whipple, 1984 <br /> 10. Bibliography and/or references (such as local histories, deeds, assessor's records, <br /> early maps, etc.) <br /> Ed. Worthen. Calendar History of Lexington - p.118 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.