Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:38:46 PM
9/18/2018 2:38:45 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 35 WACHUSETT DRIVE <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 2280 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 35 Wachusett Drive occupies a large lot at the end of a narrow, paved extension of the main road. Surrounded by woodland, the <br /> front yard has a paved circular driveway with shrubs and a small lawn area in the center. The house consists of two main <br /> sections: a three-story, flat-roofed volume on the left and a two-story, side gabled volume on the right. The front fagade is the <br /> only portion of the building visible from the public way. <br /> Windows typically have 2/2 double-hung sash and flat casings without molding. Two chimneys are visible: an interior end wall <br /> chimney on the left side of the three-story section of the house, and an interior chimney on the back slope of the gabled right <br /> wing, near the center and the ridge line. <br /> The three-story section of the house is sheathed with wood clapboards and trimmed with flat corner boards and a fascia board <br /> with bed molding. Its fagade contains two widely spaced window bays at the outer ends with a single window on each floor and <br /> a pair of square windows centered at the first floor. The two-story volume on the right has a side gable roof with a shallow, <br /> cross-gabled pavilion on the left end of its facade. This wing of the building is sheathed with clapboards on the first floor and <br /> wood shingles above. The second floor wall flares slightly at the base. Flat corner boards trim the first floor and a wide flat belt <br /> course runs between the first and second floors and along the eave line. <br /> The fagade pavilion contains a single leaf doorway centered on its first floor, flanked by small, square Queen Anne windows. <br /> One window is centered above at the second floor and the gable peak is decorated with patterned shingles and a flat belt course <br /> near the peak. On the bay to the right of the pavilion, a pair of windows is centered on the first floor and a single window is <br /> positioned slightly off-center on the second floor, topped by a small cross-gable with patterned wood shingles. <br /> The scale, size, massing, and utilitarian character of the three-story volume of this house detract from the picturesque qualities <br /> of the right side of the building, which presumably is original. The right wing is notable for its lively roofline, textured wall <br /> surfaces, informal fenestration, and Queen Anne sash. <br /> Although well-maintained, the historical integrity of the original house—the two-story wing—is compromised by the <br /> overwhelming scale and massing of the three-story addition. The building is architecturally significant as the remnant of a <br /> Victorian country house in the setting of an early 201h century subdivision. Notable features of the original house include the <br /> picturesque roofline and massing, combination of wall textures, and variety of informal fenestration. The addition is remarkable <br /> for its size, scale, and flat roof. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the roles) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> 35 Wachusett Drive occupies a prominent site on Loring Hill, southwest of the town center, off Waltham Street. The early part of <br /> the present building may have been constructed by 1875, when an L-shaped building and an outbuilding are illustrated in this <br /> location, owned by Joseph Richardson. Depiction of the same L-shaped house persisted in 1898. <br /> According to Worthen, this property was part of the John Bridge farm in the early 19th century, passing through several <br /> subsequent owners until acquired by Joseph Richardson of Boston in 1869. Richardson was a merchant and evidently a <br /> gentleman farmer. In the 1880 census, he was living in Lexington (at an unspecified address)with his wife Amelia, three young <br /> Continuation sheet I <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.