Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM (35 Tower Road) <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of the building in terms of other buildings within the <br /> community. <br /> Set on a low hill and shaded by trees, 35 Tower Road is a 1 1/2-story, side-gabled bungalow which is sheathed in wood <br /> shingles and set above a stuccoed foundation. Characteristic of the style, exposed rafters decorate the lateral eaves with <br /> larger brackets on the gable ends. Centered on the front roof slope is a gable dormer containing a pair of 6/1 windows,with <br /> rafters decorating the overhanging eaves. Spanning much of the facade is a two-bay porch supported by battered porch posts <br /> with recessed panels. Between the porch posts are recessed panel walls. Under the porch,the center entrance contains a <br /> wooden door with 4 x 2-panes over a lower panel. The entrance is flanked by two pairs of 6/1 windows. Remaining <br /> windows on the building also consist of 6/1 sash. <br /> The south gable end of the house is fronted by a smaller projecting gable and brick chimney. There is a small, shed-roofed <br /> porch displaying exposed rafters at the rear of the north elevation. <br /> A paved driveway extends along the north side of the house,terminating at a stuccoed, gablefront garage with a shingled front <br /> gable. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Dgscribe the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building and <br /> the roles) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The earliest reference found for this property indicates that the land was sold by Paul Burns to Edward Hartman in 1915. <br /> Hartman lived on Locust Avenue and held onto the house lots for a number of years. Hartman still owned the lots in 1926 <br /> but by 1928 he had sold the lots, presumably to the unknown builder of this house. Sewer service was installed in 1928. <br /> Directories indicate that Mrs. Carrie Fennell lived here from about 1932 to 1936 (the house was known as 8 Tower Road <br /> until the mid 1930s). Mrs. Fennell is not listed as the owner on the local Valuation Records but apparently rented the house. <br /> The property was acquir--d by Rufus and Minnie McQuillen about 1940 and was sold by Mrs. McQuillen in 1969. The <br /> property had had several owners since that time. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Lexington Assessors Records. <br /> Lexington Directories, various dates. <br /> Lelington Valuation Lists, various dates. <br /> y <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked, you must attached a completed <br /> National Register Criteria Statement form. <br />