Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM (29 Tower Road) <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of the building in terms of other buildings within the <br /> community. <br /> Formerly part of the Tower Estate, 29 Tower Road is a 2 1/2-story dwelling which was built in two stages. The older part of <br /> the structure is the section to the south which probably dates to the 1870s or 1880s;the section to the north was apparently <br /> added after the house was moved to its present location in 1902. The house is set on a fieldstone foundation and is sheathed <br /> in asbestos shingles. The original part of the cottage is a rectangular block set with its narrow pedimented end to the street <br /> and an additional pediment on the south elevation. Projecting from the facade is a c.1902 single-story, rectangular bay <br /> window set on a stone foundation. The remaining windows consist of 2/2 sash, including both individual windows and pairs. <br /> Small 2 x 2 windows light the pediments. <br /> The northern elevation of the c.1902 addition displays an asymmetrical gable which extends to shelter the front porch. The <br /> north elevation is punctuated by a variety of windows. The front porch is supported by turned posts with a geometric railing <br /> and latticed airspace. The main entrance, under the porch, consists of a glass-and-panel wooden door with an adjacent 2/2 <br /> window. <br /> A single-story, 20th century wing extends behind the original house with a multi-paned sun porch on the south side. To the <br /> northwest of the house is a small,gablefront clapboarded shed. At the end of the driveway is a clapboarded garage with two <br /> overhead doors and a metal roof. The front yard is overgrown with vegetation. <br /> HIS)'fORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Depribe the history of the building. Explain its associations with local (or state) history. Include uses of the building and <br /> thelole(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Together with Tower Park, an ornamental gate at Pelham Road (MHC#512) and the stone wall along Massachusetts <br /> Avenue and Pelham Road,this building is a last remnant of the William Augustus Tower estate which occupied much of the <br /> acreage along Mass. Ave. between Pelham Road and Middle Street(later Marrett Road). (ttv,e5-1(a,FP- <br /> C D aGhYV11 <br /> This house was originally located on Marrett Road(according to Edwin Worther's notes it st on the "site of Sherburne- <br /> Carter house"). It was reportedly originally built at Mr. Tower's expense for Mr. Batchelde who occupied it for 13 years <br /> before it was moved to its present location and constructed a large addition. A brief mention in the Lexington Minute-man in <br /> 1902 confirms that Col. William A. Tower purchased this lot of land from Frank Pierce and began excavation of a cellar. <br /> The house,then occup.'-d by Mr. Batchelder, was moved to the site for use by the Batchelder family. <br /> In 1906 Richard Tower sold the house and land on Tower Road to Fred Earle, a conductor on the Boston&Maine Railroad <br /> (Lexington branch). The 1906 map indicates that the surrounding acreage had already been lotted. The house was occupied <br /> for many years by Fred Earle and his wife, Caroline(Carrie). The Earles continued to own the house into the 1950s. It was <br /> known as 14 Tower until the mid 1930s. <br /> William Augustus Tower(1824-1904)was a very successful banker and businessman who moved to Lexington in the 1850s. <br /> In addition to banking interests in Chicago and Boston, he served as president of the Concord Railroad in New Hampshire <br /> from 1870-1873 and later president of the Nashua and Lowell Railroad. He was a member of the first board of trustees of <br /> RLexington Savings Bank and a founder of the Lexington Historical Society. He served as a member of the House of <br /> resentatives and the Governor's Council and was chief marshal at the Lexington Centennial celebration in 1875. Tower's <br /> resdence south of Main Street was described as the finest in town in the 1868 Town History; a new house was built for <br /> Tower by a Mr. Ball in 1873. This mansion wasT down in the late 1930s or early 1940s. <br /> M ass Ale. <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attached a completed <br /> National Register Criteria Statement form. <br />