Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 28 THERESA AVENUE <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 0 2273 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 28 Theresa Avenue occupies a small corner lot that is maintained chiefly in lawn and mature trees and bordered by a wood <br /> fence around the perimeter(pickets at the front street edge, solid wood boards along the side). The house is sited near the <br /> center of the parcel, with a moderate front setback, a concrete walkway to the front door, and a paved driveway to the west of <br /> the building that extends to a garage at the back corner of the lot. <br /> The three by two bay main block rises 2 '/2 stories from a foundation of brick and concrete block to a hip roof with a chimney on <br /> the west (right) slope. Walls are clad with vinyl and vinyl trim. Windows typically have 6/1 double hung sash with band molding. <br /> The front fagade (north elevation) contains a projecting center entry portico composed of wood steps and railings, square posts, <br /> a hip roof, and a single-leaf door with half-height sidelights. Paired windows flank each side of the entrance on the first floor. <br /> One 6/1 window is set in each outer bay of the second floor, flanking a set of smaller paired windows above the entrance. A hip- <br /> roofed dormer is centered in the front slope of the roof; it contains a louvered attic vent. <br /> The west(right side)elevation contains paired windows in the forward bay and a smaller window towards the rear of the first <br /> floor, and two widely spaced windows at the second floor. The asymmetrical east(left side) elevation contains two sets of paired <br /> windows at the first floor and two single windows at the second floor. A narrow sun porch is set slightly off-center on the rearl <br /> elevation, with two windows on each side, four windows and an offset, single-leaf door on the back elevation, and a low hip roof. <br /> A triplet of windows occupies the easternmost bay of the first floor, and three windows are irregularly positioned on the second <br /> floor. <br /> A small wood-frame garage stands behind the house at the southwest corner of the parcel. It has a front-gable roof(with no <br /> returns) and a single vehicle bay. <br /> Well preserved and maintained, 28 Theresa Avenue is a good example of early 20th century middle class suburban housing in <br /> Lexington. The house is notable for its intact massing, prominent center entrance portico, variety of fenestration (single, paired, <br /> and triple window units), and original/early garage. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The neighborhood centered around Bow Street and Hillcrest, Cliffe, and Rindge avenues covers a steep hillside between <br /> Massachusetts Avenue and Lowell Street along the Arlington town line. The Great Meadows and Arlington Reservoir are <br /> located to the west and east, respectively. By 1898, a very short stub of road between Mass. Avenue and the B&M Railroad <br /> tracks is labeled Bow Street. North of the tracks, it continues as a pathway to a farmhouse identified as J. A. Wilson. The 1899 <br /> directory identifies a James Wilson, farmer and market gardener, with a house off Bow, and a James A. Wilson, market <br /> gardener, with a house on Bow. The land remained undeveloped as part of the Wilson Farm until at least 1906. <br /> Most of the streets here were laid out and platted for house lots by 1927; development most likely began after 1918. <br /> Development slowly crept up the hillside through the early and mid 20th century, most densely along the grid of streets closest to <br /> Massachusetts Avenue. The Wilson farm remained in existence east of Bow Street (in the area now traversed by South Rindge <br /> Street) until at least 1950, at which time it encompassed a substantial farmhouse and greenhouse and two other large <br /> outbuildings. <br /> Continuation sheet I <br />