Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 15 THERESA AVENUE <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 2270 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 15 Theresa Avenue occupies a small, level lot that is lined with a low hedge and occupied by shrubs, scattered trees, and street <br /> trees. The two-family building is offset towards the west side of its parcel, with a paved driveway on either side of the front yard. <br /> A concrete walkway leads from the street to the front entrance. <br /> The long, rectangular building rises 2 '/2 stories from a fieldstone foundation to a high front-gambrel roof with a center chimney. <br /> Walls are clad with wood clapboard and trimmed with narrow corner boards and a wide flat fascia. Windows typically have 6/1 <br /> double hung sash with band molding. The two-bay wide front facade (south elevation) contains a two-story high, angled bay <br /> window on the eastern half, with a single 6/1 window on each face of each floor. The western half of the elevation is spanned by <br /> a two-story porch supported by slim square posts and ringed by a wood balustrade on the first and second floor decks. A wood <br /> stairway accesses this porch. Vertical board siding clads the walls of the entry bay on both floors; the second story deck is <br /> uncovered. Behind the porch, the first story contains a single leaf door; above is a sliding patio door with a square Queen Anne <br /> window on the left. A pedimented gambrel end is formed by a narrow, flared roof skirt connecting the front corners of the roof. <br /> Within the half story is a pair of closely spaced 6/1 windows. <br /> The east (right side) elevation contains a two-story high, angled bay window in the center, with three 6/1 windows at each story. <br /> The rear bay of this elevation has, on both floors, a tripartite window with a center picture window flanked by a 1/1 window on <br /> each side. A hip roofed dormer, centered on the roof, contains a single casement window. A two-story wood staircase on the <br /> rear elevation is visible from the east side of the building. <br /> The west(left side) elevation has three bays, each floor featuring paired 6/1 windows towards the front of the building, a small <br /> awning window in the center bay, and a single casement window towards the back. <br /> Well preserved and well maintained, 15 Theresa Avenue is a simple but handsome example of early 20th century suburban <br /> housing in Lexington. Notable features of the house include its straightforward massing, two-story high bay windows, and <br /> voluminous, pedimented front-gambrel roof. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The neighborhood centered around Bow Street and Hillcrest, Cliffe, and Rindge avenues covers a steep hillside between <br /> Massachusetts Avenue and Lowell Street along the Arlington town line. The Great Meadows and Arlington Reservoir are <br /> located to the west and east, respectively. By 1898, a very short stub of road between Mass. Avenue and the B&M Railroad <br /> tracks is labeled Bow Street. North of the tracks, it continues as a pathway to a farmhouse identified as J. A. Wilson. The 1899 <br /> directory identifies a James Wilson, farmer and market gardener, with a house off Bow, and a James A. Wilson, market <br /> gardener, with a house on Bow. The land remained undeveloped as part of the Wilson Farm until at least 1906. <br /> Most of the streets here were laid out and platted for house lots by 1927; development most likely began after 1918. <br /> Development slowly crept up the hillside through the early and mid 20th century, most densely along the grid of streets closest to <br /> Massachusetts Avenue. The Wilson farm remained in existence east of Bow Street(in the area now traversed by South Rindge <br /> Street) until at least 1950, at which time it encompassed a substantial farmhouse and greenhouse and two other large <br /> outbuildings. <br /> Continuation sheet I <br />