Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 7 TEWKSBURY STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> Located at the corner of Tewksbury and Sargent Streets, 7 Tewksbury Street is a simple 1 'h-story side-gabled cottage sheathed <br /> in wood shingles and resting on a mortared stone foundation. Recessed under the front roof slope which is supported by <br /> attenuated turned posts,the three-bay fagade features an offcenter,unadorned entrance flanked by two individual 2/2 windows. <br /> Two gable dormers rise from the front roof slope. There is a single-story,three-sided bay window on the northeast gable end. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This property is lot 7 on the Plan of Houselots belonging to George F. Tewksbury in 1898 (Plan Book 112,Page 5). In 1897 <br /> Tewksbury had purchased land at the corner of Bedford and Hill Street as well as the adjacent Payne estate and had plans to lay <br /> out approximately fifty lots (Minute-man,April 2, 1897). Although that number was never achieved, in 1905 the paper noted <br /> that Tewksbury had"built up quite a little colony"in this part of town over the past two or three years (Minute-man,Nov. 18, <br /> 1905). Tewksbury Street had not yet been laid out by the time of the 1906 map. <br /> The earliest known occupant of the house is William Dwyer who was renting it at the time of the 1920 Census. He worked as a <br /> motorman on the street railway. In 1921 Mary Tewksbury sold the property to Michael J. Duffy(Book 4475,Page 318). Duffy <br /> was born in Ireland and worked as a public works laborer. He lived here with two daughters and a son. Ownership passed from <br /> Robert Duffy to Mary Duffy in 1938 and it was conveyed by Mary Duffy Rudd to George Rudd in 1995. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Middlesex South Registry of Deeds, Cambridge,Mass.,Plan Book 112/Plan 5 <br /> Sanborn Insurance Maps <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> 1906 map <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />