Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM (5 Tewksbury Street) <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of the building in terms of other buildings within the <br /> community. <br /> A good example of the Queen Anne-style, 5 Tewksbury Street is a 2 1/2-story dwelling displaying a cross-gable plan. The <br /> first floor of the building is sheathed in clapboards and outlined by plain cornerboards and a simple wooden watertable above <br /> the fieldstone foundation. The second story of the building is covered in wood shingles while both of the gables are sheathed <br /> in staggered wood shingles and have cornice returns. The most distinctive feature of the house is the way in which the front <br /> gable is cantilevered out beyond the plane of the wall below, seemingly supported by an offcenter two-story, rectangular bay <br /> window which is a single-bay wide. Further accenting the overhang is the east side wall which is flared. Filling the southeast <br /> corner of the cross-gable plan is a single-story porch supported by turned posts with jigsawn scroll brackets at the top. The <br /> posts are set above a wooden deck with latticed airspace. The simple entrance on the east wall of the house retains its <br /> original varnished front door with raised panels and beveled glass. Windows consist of a mix of original 2/1 and more <br /> narrow 1/1 sash as well as some 1/1 replacements. There is a diamond-paned stained glass window above the porch and an <br /> octagonal window lighting the front hall. <br /> Extending behind the house is a single-story addition set above a concrete foundation. A small parking area is located to the <br /> east of the house. <br /> Tl�is house was built according to the same plan as the house at 116 Bedford Street which has witnessed extensive alterations <br /> including the application of synthetic siding and the replacement of its original porch with a sunporch addition. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Describe the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building and <br /> the role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> It appears that Max Clarke was the first owner of this house and that it was constructed about 1904. Tewksbury Street was <br /> not laid out until about 1916; previous to this the house is listed as being"off Bedford Street". The house is located on Lot <br /> 17 of George F. Tewksbury's subdivision which was laid out in 1898 (Middlesex County Plan Book 112, Plan 5). Town <br /> valuation lists indicate that in 1905 Clarke first paid real estate taxes for a house off Bedford Street, valued at$2600 with a <br /> lot containing 7360 square feet. (This description of the property matches the description of Clarke's house on Tewksbury <br /> Street in 1916). Clarke was employed as a clerk at G.W. Spalding's grocery store at 480 Mass. Ave. Clarke continued to <br /> live in the house until about 1940, and in the late 1930s and early 1940s lived here with Christine and Margaret Noyes. By <br /> 1942 the Misses Noyes were living here alone. Both were teachers -directories state that Margaret taught at the Hancock <br /> School. Christine Noyes continued to occupy the house until 1976. It was owned by Kenneth and Nancy Wilson from 1976 <br /> until 1991. <br /> B,iIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Lfxington Directories, various years. <br /> Lexington, Town of. List of Persons,various years. <br /> Lexington, Town of Valuation Lists. Assessors' Office, Town Hall, Lexington, Massachusetts. <br /> Sanborn Map Co. Lexington,Middlesex County,Massachusetts. New York: Sanborn Map Co., 1887, 1892, 1897, 1903, <br /> 1908, 1918, 1927, 1935. Microfilm. <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attached a completed <br /> National Register Criteria Statement form. <br />