Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 2 TEWKSBURY STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> The house at 2 Tewksbury Street is a two-story hip-roofed dwelling which dates to the early 20th century and is notable for its <br /> lack of alteration. Vaguely Craftsman in inspiration, it is sheathed in wood shingles and rests on a mortared stone foundation. <br /> The asphalt-shingle roof displays overhanging eaves with exposed rafter tails. The entire facade is spanned by a single-story sun <br /> porch enclosed by continuous multi-light windows setting on a paneled wall. The second story of the fagade is punctuated by <br /> two irregularly spaced 6/1 windows. Additional windows of this configuration, of varying sizes,numbers and placement, <br /> punctuate the lesser elevations. There is a hip dormer on the west roof slope and a brick chimney on the east. Doors include an <br /> original glass-and-panel unit on the west side. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This property is lot 4 on the Plan of Houselots belonging to George F. Tewksbury in 1898 (Plan Book 112,Page 5). In 1897 <br /> Tewksbury had purchased land at the corner of Bedford and Hill Street as well as the adjacent Payne estate and had plans to lay <br /> out approximately fifty lots (Minute-man,April 2, 1897). Although that number was never achieved, in 1905 the paper noted <br /> that Tewksbury had"built up quite a little colony"in this part of town over the past two or three years (Minute-man,Nov. 18, <br /> 1905). Tewksbury Street had not yet been laid out by the time of the 1906 map. <br /> In 1902 much of the Tewksbury property on Tewksbury Street was sold to Bowman Patten who laid out his own subdivision in <br /> 1910,this being lot 2 of that plan(Plan Book 189,Page 20). Howard Custance purchased this lot from Bowman in Sept. 1912 <br /> and erected this house for his own use. Custance had immigrated from Nova Scotia in 1906. In partnership with his brother <br /> Theodore,he formed Custance Brothers in 1911. The firm was Lexington's leading contractor in the early to mid 20th century. <br /> Howard and Orra Custance were still living here in 1942. <br /> The house was later acquired by Albert Bettencourt and is still owned by family today. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Middlesex South Registry of Deeds, Cambridge,Mass. (Book 3728,Page 41) <br /> Sanborn Insurance Maps <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> 1906 map <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />