Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 14 Sherman St. is one of a number of Federal houses in Lexington but,due to the fact that it has been moved and sided, is less <br /> intact than many others. (Other moved and sided Federals are at 137 Grant St. [MHC#6781 and 16 Manley Ct. [MHC#6661). <br /> The house is rectangular with a rear ell, 2%s stories, five-by-two bays, and side-gabled with a front chimney. The four-bay-long <br /> two-story front-gabled rear ell has a ridge chimney. The house is set on a rusticated concrete block foundation, clad with vinyl <br /> siding, and roofed with asphalt shingles. There are several hip-roofed,one-by-one bay additions in the reentrant angle. The center <br /> entrance has a pedimented surround with dentils,fluted pilasters,and half-length sidelights over panels;windows are 2/2 double <br /> hung sash. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the <br /> role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This house originally stood on Massachusetts Ave. in front of the Sherburne House at 11 Percy Rd. (MHC#490). Deeds <br /> indicate that the house was built sometime between 1809 and 1822: in 1809,when John Mulliken sold the land on which it later <br /> stood to his sons Nathaniel and John Jr.,there was no mention of it having any buildings on it, but in 1822,when John Jr. <br /> quitclaimed his share in the property to Nathaniel, it was described as having a house. In 1872 this house was purchased by <br /> Warren Sherburne, who had moved to Lexington just a few years earlier and in 1893 would build the house now at 11 Percy Rd. <br /> This house was moved to its present location sometime between 1906 and 1918, for it is shown on Massachusetts Ave. on a 1906 <br /> map but on Sherman St. in 1918. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Revised and continued to 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society. <br /> Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1913. 2: 615-16;443-46. <br /> Middlesex Registry of Deeds. Deeds. 186: 74;408: 159; 1147: 187; 1201: 362. <br /> Sanborn Map Company. Lexington,Middlesex County,Massachusetts. New York: Sanborn Map Co., 1918. Pl. 5. <br /> Walker, George H. &Co. Atlas of Middlesex County,Massachusetts. Boston: George H. Walker&Co., 1906. Pl. 36. <br /> Worthen, Edwin B. Notes on buildings burned,torn down,and moved. "Houses"file,Worthen Collection. Cary Library, <br /> Lexington, Mass. 456 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attach a completed National <br /> Register Criteria Statement form. <br />