Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM (9 Prospect Hill Road) <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of the building in terms of other buildings within the <br /> community. <br /> The house at 9 Prospect Hill Road is an unusual and eclectic early 20th century home displaying the influence of the <br /> Bungalow in its massing and exposed rafters and Spanish Mission styles in its red tile roof. The 1 3/4-story, side-gabled <br /> building displays a brick exterior. The asymmetrical gable shelters a front porch, now screened with three arched openings <br /> on the facade and an additional arched opening on each adjacent side elevation. The center entrance is fronted by brick steps <br /> and a brick stoop with concrete capstones. Underneath the porch,the center entrance is flanked by two multi-light openings. <br /> Rising from the front roof slope is a gable dormer containing three modern 8/8 windows. The walls of the dormer are covered <br /> in red slate; the roof is tiled. <br /> The right side of the house has three regular bays of openings consisting of paired casement openings writh 2 x 4-lights in each <br /> panel. A side porch is sheltered by a tile roof with slate in the front gable. The porch is supported by square posts resting on <br /> a brick stoop. The six-panel door is flanked by partial sidelights which are set into the wall. Fenestration on the left gable <br /> end is more irregular. <br /> The house is set on a small hill above and setback from Prospect Hill Road. A hedge flanks the driveway and extends along <br /> the streetline. A curving driveway terminates at a two-car hip, roofed brick garage with two sets of accordion doors. The <br /> large shaded lot includes concrete garden walls. <br /> HIATORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Describe the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building and <br /> the role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This house was reportedly constructed about 1912 according to assessors' records. The early ownership of the house has not <br /> been established. The house had numerous occupants in the 1930s. Later owners included Cyrus and Dorothy Wood from <br /> c.1950 to 1965 when it was sold to Richard and Florence Kestler. <br /> The Fair Oaks subdivision was initially laid out in 1912. The original layout of the development was the work of Arthur E. <br /> Horton, a landscape architect who had worked for the Metropolitan Park Commission in Boston, for much of this time under <br /> the direction of Charles Eliot. The street layout which was finally accepted by the town in 1924 was apparently a revised <br /> layout. Although an overview of the Fair Oaks subdivision is provided in Area Form Y, additional research needs to be done <br /> to determine the sequence of construction in the neighborhood and any commonalties which may exist. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Comprehensive Cultural Resources Survey of Lexington, Book 1, 1984. <br /> Lexington Assessors Records. <br /> LeIngton Directories, various dates. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists, various dates. <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked, you must attached a completed <br /> National Register Criteria Statement form. <br />