Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:29:49 PM
9/18/2018 2:29:49 PM
Property - StreetNumber
Peacock Farm Road
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE (Describe important architectural features and <br /> evaluate in terms of other buildings within the community.) <br /> This is one of many five-bay wide, one-room deep with rear chimneys <br /> dwellings built in East Lexington in th second quarter of the nineteenth <br /> century. Simple trim of corner boards� rieze board relate the building to <br /> the Greek Revival style. The three-part window over the door is more of a <br /> Federal feature, however. <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE (Explain the role owners played in local or state <br /> history and how the building relates to the development of the community.) <br /> In 1852, Phineas Lawrence owned this house and two others in the <br /> immediate area. Lawrence (b. 1775, d. 1864) moved from Waltham four years <br /> after his marriage to Polly Wellington c. 1796 into an area of Lexington <br /> where members of the Wellington family already lived. Lawrence served as <br /> a state representative. <br /> Before 1906, George Norton, a soap manufacturer from Winsor, Connecticut <br /> purchased the property for use as a summer residence. George Mason became <br /> the owner some time thereafter and the property remained in the Mason family <br /> until 1973. In 1951, the acreage of the farm was sold for the Peacock Farm <br /> development.^ In the early twentieth century peacocks were raised on the farm. <br /> (see <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES (name of publication, author, date and publisher) <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington, revised and continued to <br /> 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society, Volume II, p. 355. Boston: <br /> Houghton Mifflin Company, 1913. <br /> Kelley, Beverly Allison. Lexington, A Century of Photographs, p. 11. Boston: <br /> Lexington Historical Society, 1980. <br /> 1830 map <br /> 1852 map <br /> 1875 atlas <br /> 1889 atlas <br /> 1906 atlas <br /> 10M - 7/82 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.