Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:29:27 PM
9/18/2018 2:29:27 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE (Describe important architectural features and <br /> evaluate in terms of other buildings within the community.) <br /> This substantial Greek Revival structure, although covered with aluminum <br /> _ siding, retains its original design including corner boards, broad frieze, <br /> pedimented gable, porch with chamfered hosts, and simple Greek Revival frontis- <br /> piece drawn from Asher Benjamin's Practice of Architecture (1833) . This is <br /> the First of manv houses in Lexington to be built by David A. Tuttle. By 1894 <br /> he had completed 39 houses in town. <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE (Explain the role owners played in local or state <br /> history and how the building relates to the development of the community.) <br /> _ David Tuttle built the house for his own occupancy, but before 1853 he <br /> sold it to Augustus Wellington. Wellington, son of Nehemiah Wellington on <br /> Parrett Road (see 419 14arrett Road form) and a relative of the Gellingtors on <br /> Concord Avenue (see 177 Concord Avenue form) , was, like his cousins in South <br /> Lexington, in the milk business and was apparen v a very popular person in <br /> town. <br /> This house originally stood on r.assachusetts Avenue on the site of the <br /> present Hancock Church; it was moved to Parker Street in 1892 so that the <br /> church could be built. In 1898 and 1906 it was occupied by Elbridge 171. Glass, <br /> who was in the teamina business. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES (name of publication, author, date and publisher) <br /> Benjamin, Asher. Practice of Architecture. Boston: published by the author <br /> and Carter, Tendo and Company, 1833. <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington, revised and continued to <br /> 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society, Volume II, p. 733. Boston: <br /> Houghton iifflin Companv, 1913. <br /> David A. Tuttle's list of houses he built, 1904. Lexington Historical Societ-Y <br /> archives. <br /> 1853 map <br /> 1898 map <br /> .1906 map <br /> 1OM - 7/82 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.