Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM CONTINUATION SHEET Town Property Address <br /> LEXINGTON 29 OAKLAND ST. <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> MASSACHUSETTS ARCHIVES BUILDING <br /> 7 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD 379 <br /> BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: <br /> As indicated in the previous inventory form,this house and its neighbor at 29 Oakland Street were both constructed in <br /> 1895. On August 2, 1895 the Lexington Minute-man included the following description of the construction of the two <br /> houses and the development of this part of Oakland Street: <br /> During the late spring the extension of upper Oakland street was opened up,which carries the street over the <br /> summit of the hill to its limit which is reached at the extensive grounds of the Hayes estate. As yet the street is in <br /> a rough state but in time will be graded and will make a beautiful street and the house lots now to be had will be <br /> quickly snatched up by parties seeking a desirable building site on which to locate a new house . There are <br /> already in the process of construction two houses worth from five to six thousand dollars each. These houses are <br /> located on the right side of the street adjoining each other and will be completed about the same time. The first <br /> one is being building for Mrs. Charlotte E. Smith, of Charlestown, and the second for Mrs. Mary W.Ferguson of <br /> the same place. They are of the large, square style of architecture with large entrance halls in the middle of the <br /> front with rooms either side,with the plain surface broken by bays and ornamental windows. The frames are <br /> about completed and ready for the interior finish. <br /> Eben Rhoades Ferguson,husband of Mary Ferguson, died in November 1897. Mary Ferguson continued to live here with <br /> their two daughters until about 1915. In the 1930s and early 1940s the house was occupied by Guy Maynard and family. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY: <br /> Lexington Directories,various dates. <br /> Lexington Minute-Man, August 2, 1895. <br /> Middlesex County Register of Deeds, Cambridge,Mass. <br /> U.S. Census Records, 1900-1930. <br /> Supplement prepared by: <br /> Lisa Mausolf <br /> June 2009 <br />