Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM CONTINUATION SHEET Town Property Address <br /> LEXINGTON 4 OAKLAND ST. <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> MASSACHUSETTS ARCHIVES BUILDING <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD 368 <br /> BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: <br /> On December 1, 1893 the Lexington Minute-man reported that"A new house is to be put up on Oakland street. It is to be <br /> built for Mr. Geo. H.Emery, for his own occupancy". Construction took place that spring and on June 15, 1894,the <br /> paper noted that"The new house recently completed for Mr. Geo. H. Emery, at the foot of Oakland street, is an <br /> acquisition to the locality and decidedly pleasing in its modest style of architecture". Born in Maine in 1834, George <br /> Emery came to Lexington in 1871. He worked as a bookkeeper in Boston and lived here with his wife Georgianna. <br /> George was still living here in 1922 when he would have been approximately 89 years old. By 1926 the house was <br /> occupied by Mrs. H. Herbert Collins. Mrs. Collins was still here in 1942. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY: <br /> Lexington Directories,various dates. <br /> Lexington Minute-Man,December 1, 1893,June 15, 1894, Oct. 19, 1894. <br /> Sanborn Insurance Maps,Lexington,various dates. <br /> Supplement prepared by: <br /> Lisa Mausolf <br /> June 2009 <br />