Laserfiche WebLink
ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE (Describe important architectural features and <br /> evaluate in terms of other buildings within the community.) <br /> Typical of the late nineteenth century development of Meriam Hill, and <br /> particularly well documented, this house draws upon the Shingle Style for its <br /> massing, cruciform gambrel roof extending down over the second floor (called <br /> a duplex gambrel in the contemporary account quoted below) , exterior fieldstone <br /> chimney, and "eyelid" lintel on a second-story window (right side) . Other <br /> features such as the polygonal and semicircular balustraded bay windows, on <br /> the right and left sides respectively, leaded glass windows and deep console <br /> bracket at the right front corner derive from the Queen Anne style. <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE (Explain the role owners played in local or state <br /> history and how the building relates to the development of the community.) <br /> Matthew H. Merriam (b. 1824) moved to Lexington before 1875. He resided <br /> first in the Italianate Samuel Chandler mansion on Goodwin Road. When his <br /> partner died in 1880, Merriam relocated his shoe findings factory to Oakland <br /> Street from Charlestown. At the age of 60, Merriam built a new house directly <br /> across from his factory. The architect, WaltertJ. Paine of Boston, had <br /> xinon <br /> designed the Hancock Church bordering the Eree a year earlier. The contractor, <br /> Abram C. Washburn, was Lexington's most prolific carpenter/contractor/speculative <br /> builder in the late nineteenth century. Because Matthew Merriam was one of <br /> Lexington' s most prominent citizens as proprietor of its most successful factory <br /> and trustee of the Lexington Savings Bank, his house was thoroughly described <br /> in the newspaper: <br /> Mr. M.H. Merriam and family removed from their mansion house <br /> off Hancock street to their attractive new home on Oakland <br /> street, last week, Thursday, and are now quite at home in <br /> their new quarters. The house is picturesque in design, is <br /> conveniently planned and is finished inside with much taste. <br /> It is a shingled structure with a duplex gambrel roof, and <br /> one of the most striking features is a handsome outside chim- <br /> ney built of fieldstone and granite, which is built in <br /> conjunction with the foundation story of the large circular <br /> (see Continuation Sheet) <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES (name of publication, author, date and publisher) <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington, revised and continued to <br /> 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society, Volume II, p. 431. Boston: <br /> Houghton Mifflin Company, 1913. <br /> Hurd, D. Hamilton, editor. History of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Volume <br /> I, p. 631. Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis and Company, 1890. <br /> Lexington Minute Man, March 16, 1894, July 20, 1894, October 19, 1894. <br /> 1889 atlas <br /> 1906 atlas <br /> 10NI - 7/82 <br />