Laserfiche WebLink
ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE (Describe important architectural features and <br /> evaluate in terms of other buildings within the community.) <br /> This house is now a substantial structure with heavily proportioned Greek <br /> Revival decorative features: frontispieces on the south and west sides with <br /> panelled pilasters and entablatures with broad frieze and large dentils, panelled <br /> corner pilasters, slim frieze boards and a course of large dentils at the eaves. <br /> whether or not the house incorporates the 1730 structure known to have <br /> been on this site is uncertain. The five-bay-wide south elevation could have <br /> been the facade of a Second Period house that received a new roof with ridge <br /> (see Continuation Sheet) <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE (Explain the role owners played in local or state <br /> history and how the building relates to the development of the community.) <br /> This property was part of the acreage amassed by the Bridge family, <br /> original seventeenth-century proprietors of Lexington, then "Cambridge Farms." <br /> Before his death in 1738 Matthew Bridge, Jr. had given a house and 100 acres of <br /> farmland to each of his four sons (see 271 Marrett Road form for a fuller account <br /> of the Bridge family) . Third son, John Bridge (b. 1700, d. 1776) received the <br /> house on this site, built very likely at the time of his first marriage in 1730. <br /> John Bridge served as selectman and town treasurer. His son, John, who <br /> presumably resided on this site, was one of the foremost citizens of his time in <br /> Lexington. He served in the army in the 1750s, was a member of Captain Parker's <br /> company of Minute Men on the Common on April 19, 1775, served with the Lexington <br /> Minute Men in Cambridge and at Bunker Hill, and when Captain Parker died, Bridge <br /> became captain. Bridge led the Lexington Minute Men to duty in Roxbury and later <br /> became a major in the militia. He served as a member of the Committee of <br /> Correspondence and Safety in 1776 and was after the war a magistrate and justice <br /> of the peace and assessor. <br /> A large dairy farm was operated here in the second half of the nineteenth <br /> century. By 1899 Joseph M. Middleby ran the Reservoir Stock Farm here. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES (name of publication, author, date and publisher) <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington, revised and continued to <br /> 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society, Volume II, p. 56. Boston: <br /> Houghton Mifflin Company, 1913. <br /> Worthen, Edwin B. , Jr. "The Bridge Family and Lexington. " Written for the use <br /> of the Lexington School Committee, 1964. <br /> 1853 map <br /> 1875 atlas <br /> 1889 atlas <br /> 1898 atlas <br /> 1906 atlas <br /> 1899 Directory <br /> 1906 Directory <br /> 10M - 7/82 <br />