Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM (531 Mass. Ave.) <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of the building in terms of other buildings within the <br /> community. <br /> The house at 531 Mass. Ave. is a 2 1/2-story, 5 x 1-bay, Federal-era residence. Sheathed in wood clapboards,the house is <br /> set on a rusticated concrete block foundation, suggesting it may have been moved or raised slightly in the early 20th century. <br /> The house is capped by an asphalt-shingled gable roof with eaves which project slightly and are without returns. Fronted by <br /> a concrete stoop,the center entrance contains a six-panel door and is flanked by full sidelights with a simple entablature <br /> lintel. The window openings consist of new 6/6 sash set into molded surrounds. <br /> Offset to the east is a single-story addition fronted by a wooden deck. A two-story ell set on a concrete block foundation with <br /> a rear modern deck extends behind the main house block. The rear addition was constructed between 1927 and 1935. <br /> A driveway extends to the east of the house, descending downhill to a small wood-shingled shed in the back yard. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Describe the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building and <br /> the role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The�,arly history of this house is not known at this time. A house is shown on this site at the time of the 1830 map although <br /> the owner is not identified. The 1853 and 1875 maps show this house as being owned by William Smith. William L. Smith <br /> (1797-1856)came to Lexington from Sterling about 1820. It was apparently later owned by his son,William H. Smith and <br /> still later by another son, George Orlando Smith, who was born in East Lexington in 1832. G.O. Smith was a prosperous <br /> importer and dealer in cigars with a business in Boston and was active in the Lexington Historical Society. Smith never <br /> married and lived in Somerville for the last few years of his life,until his death in 1903. Smith founded a free bed at the <br /> Mass. General and mass. Homeopathic Hospitals, with preference given to Lexington residents. <br /> The occupants of the house appear to have changed hands frequently in the early 20th century and it was probably rented out. <br /> The concrete block foundation which presently supports the structure suggests it was moved a short distance in the early 20th <br /> century. Inspection of Sanbom insurance maps suggests it was a negligible move, made between 1918 and 1927. The house <br /> was purchased by Martin and Agnes Carrigan about 1930 and was sold by Agnes Carrigan's estate in 1974. <br /> The house was known as 127 Mass. Ave. until the 1930s. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Lexington Assessors Records. <br /> Lexington Directories, various dates. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists, various dates. <br /> 1830, 1853, 1875 maps of Lexington <br /> Sanborn Maps, 1908-1935. <br /> Worthen, Edwin B. Tracing the Past in Lexington,Massachusetts. NY: Vantage Press, 1998, p. 64. <br /> 1� <br /> f�ecommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attached a completed <br /> National Register Criteria Statement form. <br />