Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM CONTINUATION SHEET Town Property Address <br /> Lexington 109 Massachusetts Ave. <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> MASSACHUSETTS ARCHIVES BUILDING <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD 634 <br /> BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE (continued) <br /> lived in the house at 18 Independence Ave. (MHC#644)where he ran a butchering business. When he moved to this <br /> house he went into the business of buying, selling,and boarding horses,which he pastured near Great Meadow. Worthen <br /> describes Mr. Alderman as "short, stout,florid, and excitable" and very argumentative at town meeting. The Alderman <br /> family owned this house into the 20th century. An 1898 map shows the house with an series of rear ells connecting it with <br /> the barn,which is now detached and a separate property at 3 Bow St. (MHC#635). The present rear ell was reportedly <br /> built in the 1940s as a dance hall. On March 1, 1948,a fire destroyed the old side-gabled roof, which was then replaced <br /> with the present hip one. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES (continued) <br /> Worthen, Edwin B. Tracing the Past in Lexington, Massachusetts. New York: Vantage Press, 1998. 68. <br /> Stadley, George W. & Co. Atlas of the Towns of Watertown, Belmont, Arlington and Lexington, Middlesex County, <br /> Massachusetts. Boston: George W. Stadley &Co., 1898. Pl. 32. <br /> Lexington Minute-man. 4 March 1948. <br /> Douglas Touart, personal communication 1998. <br />