Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 109 Massachusetts Ave. is a Georgian house that retains its center chimney but has lost most of its architectural integrity. The <br /> house is rectangular,two stories, five-by-two bays, and hip roofed with a center chimney. It is set on a granite foundation, clad <br /> with aluminum siding, and roofed with asphalt shingles. A one-story three-by-one bay gabled rear addition is set on a concrete <br /> block and fieldstone foundation. The center entrance is under a gabled hood supported by turned posts with curved brackets; there <br /> is a separate entrance in the rear addition. Windows are 6/6 double hung sash. A projecting second-story porch supported by <br /> posts is on the west elevation. In the basement massive beams and large floor joists are visible as is the brick arch that supports <br /> the center chimney. On either side of this arch are a number of brick piers with wooden shelves set into the bricks, suggesting that <br /> these shelves date from the original construction of the house. No other original interior finishes appear to have survived. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ® see continuation sheet <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the <br /> role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> It is not clear when this house was built nor by whom. Deed research indicates that Joshua Russell owned it in 1809 when he sold <br /> a half interest in the property to a Job Hill, but it is not clear if this is the house listed for Joshua Russell in the Direct Tax of <br /> 1798. In any event,the arch under the center chimney strongly suggests the house was built in the 18th century, and historical <br /> photographs show that it originally had a side-gabled roof. In 1812 Russell and Hill sold the property to Micajah Locke(1786- <br /> 1842), who came to Lexington from a part of West Cambridge that is now in Winchester. Locke acquired a large farm along what <br /> is now Massachusetts Ave. in East Lexington and Arlington and was also in the"meal business." Meal dealers reportedly <br /> delivered ground corn meal on a regular route in Boston, much as "milk men"delivered their milk. After distributing the day's <br /> load of meal, the dealers would buy unground corn at the docks in Boston and take it to one of the three grist mills in West <br /> Cambridge (now Arlington)to be ground for the next day's deliveries. <br /> After Micajah Locke's death, the house was owned by his widow and then sold in 1858 to a Timothy Eaton of West Cambridge. <br /> It may have been Eaton who"Italianated"the house, for its assessed value almost doubled between 1867 and 1870 and a ca. 1923 <br /> photograph shows it with a center gable. (The 1923 photo also shows the present gabled entry hood with its turned posts and <br /> brackets.) In 1871 Eaton sold the house to Franklin Alderman (1829-1900),who had come to Lexington about 1858 and first <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ® see continuation sheet <br /> Bryant, Albert W. "Lexington Sixty Years Ago." Proceedings of Lexington Historical Society 2 (1900): 21-22.Middlesex <br /> Registry of Deeds. Deeds. Cambridge, MA. 199: 151, 316; 797: 587; 1166: 584. <br /> Church, Burr. Photograph Collection. Lexington Historical Society, Lexington, MA. <br /> Direct Tax of 1798. <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Revised and continued to 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society. <br /> Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1913. 2: 378, 11. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists. 1862-1870. <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attach a completed National <br /> Register Criteria Statement form. <br />