Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 6 Linmoor Terrace <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 1588 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> Setback on a hill above North Hancock Street,what is now known as 6 Linmoor Terrace is a 2 %2-story,hip-roofed dwelling <br /> constructed in the early years of the 20th century and displaying elements of both the Craftsman and Colonial Revival styles. <br /> The house is rectangular in plan and oriented with its broad fagade facing south and its end to Linmoor Terrace. It rests on a <br /> mortared fieldstone foundation and the same stone forms a base for the full-width,three-bay wide front porch that continues <br /> around part of the west elevation. The porch is supported by pairs of Doric columns which rest on stone posts with sets of three <br /> at the front corners of the porch. The house is outlined by simple cornerboards and the eaves of the hip roof are projecting and <br /> boxed. Hip dormers punctuate the roof in addition to a fieldstone chimney on the west slope. Windows contain a mix of <br /> individual and paired openings which contain replacement 1/1 sash. Centered on the second floor of the fagade is a projecting <br /> tripartite window. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This house was constructed in the early 20th century and originally had a 74 North Hancock Street address. (Linmoor Terrace <br /> was created in the 1950s). <br /> The first owner appears to have been Edward H.Nowers(b.1867)who came to Lexington in 1907. According to deeds, William <br /> R. Greeley sold this land to Effie Nowers,wife of Edward in August 1909 (Book 3458,Page 471). Edward was treasurer of a <br /> marine works and Effie was a Sunday School superintendent. On July 24, 1909 the Minute-man reported that"Edward H. <br /> Nowers is to build a house in North Lexington for a home for his family". By 1920 the house was owned and occupied by <br /> Clarence and Abbie Fuller. He was employed as the manager of a cocoa company. <br /> Later owners included Margaret Rice and the Kuehnle family who owned the property from 1965 until 1996. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> 1906 map <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Cambridge: The Riverside Press Co., 1913. <br /> Lexington Minute-man,July 24, 1909. <br /> Middlesex South Registry of Deeds, Cambridge,MA <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />