Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 46 LINCOLN STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 1587 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> Dating to the late 19th century,the house at 46 Lincoln Street is a 2 '/2-story gablefront structure which is set on a mortared stone <br /> foundation and is presently sheathed in vinyl siding. The overhang of the gable pent and the bracket supports at the base of the <br /> gable suggest that at least part of the building may have originally been sheathed in wood shingles. The roof is covered with <br /> asphalt shingles and a brick chimney emerges near the southwest corner. A single-story porch supported by bold turned posts <br /> wraps around the facade and part of the west elevation,terminating at a two-story, shed-roofed projection located midway on the <br /> west side. In addition to the turned posts the porch also has a turned balustrade. The sidehall entry has a modern replacement <br /> door. Most of the windows contain double-hung 1/1 sash. There is a pair of 1/1 windows adjacent to the front door and another <br /> set aligned above. Other smaller, single-pane openings light the attic and west shed projection. <br /> To the west of the main house is a single-story carport set on a concrete pad with wooden posts supporting an asphalt-shingled <br /> gable roof. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> There appears to be a building on this site at the time of the 1889 map although its ownership is not indicated. The house is <br /> located to the northwest of the site of the Lexington Pumping Station. It is believed that this is the house built by the Lexington <br /> Water Company for the engineer of the pumping station in 1888. In 1909 it was voted to sell the house and lot at the pumping <br /> station on Lincoln Street(Worthen,p. 107). (The pumping station was subsequently demolished in 1930). <br /> By 1920 the house was occupied by Patrick Brady, an Irish immigrant who worked as a laborer for the park department. He <br /> lived here with his wife Elizabeth, sister Bridget and a boarder. Elizabeth Brady was still living here in 1932. By 1942 the <br /> house was occupied by Mr. and Mrs.Alfred Hammerton. Pearl Brenchick acquired the property in 1940 and continued to own <br /> it until 2005 when it was acquired by the present owners. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Lexington Minute-man,Nov. 16, 1888. <br /> Middlesex County Registry of Deeds, Cambridge,Mass. <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Worthen, Edwin B. Calendar History of Lexington, Massachusetts,p. 107. <br /> 1876, 1889, 1898, 1906 maps <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />