Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 41 Lincoln St. is one of a number of well-preserved front-gabled Greek Revival houses in Lexington, though built at a later date <br /> than most. The house is rectangular with a side ell, 2'/Z stories,two-by-two bays,and front gabled with an exterior chimney on the <br /> south side and a small ridge chimney in the ell. The side-gabled ell is two stories and one-by-one bays. The house is set on a <br /> brick foundation, clad with wood clapboards, and roofed with asphalt shingles. On the south elevation is a flat-roofed enclosed <br /> porch on a concrete foundation;at the rear is a gabled sunroom and a one-story connector attached to a front-gabled two-car <br /> garage. Greek Revival finishes include flushboard siding in the gable of the main block and of the ell, a frieze board around the <br /> entire house, and half-length sidelights flanking the entry. There are two gabled dormers on either slope of the roof and a <br /> wraparound porch with square pilastered chamfered posts. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the <br /> role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Lexington assessors' records indicate that this house was built in 1866 by Simon W. Robinson (1792-1868), who had actually <br /> bought the land on which it stands in 1850 but, having a house of his own on Concord Hill, i.e.,on Massachusetts Ave. west of <br /> Lincoln St., did not build on this lot for many years. When he finally did erect a house it was apparently as a speculative venture, <br /> for he soon sold the house and lot in 1868. It was purchased by the McCaffreys, who owned it for the rest of the 19th century. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Revised and continued to 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society. <br /> Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1913. 2: 586. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists. 1851-1867. <br /> Middlesex Registry of Deeds. Deeds. 598: 463; 1036: 215. <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attach a completed National <br /> Register Criteria Statement form. <br />