Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 40 LINCOLN STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> Dating to the early 20th century,the Four Square house at 40 Lincoln Street is a two-story,hip-roofed structure which is sheathed <br /> in wood clapboards and set on a mortared stone foundation. Reflecting a Prairie Style influence,the wide eave overhang is <br /> boxed and without brackets. The two-bay wide fagade is partially fronted by an offset single-story porch which is fitted with <br /> screens above a clapboarded wall. A low gable with semi-circular fan marks the entrance; a glass-and-panel door accesses the <br /> house. A single-story,hip-roofed wing projects from the east side of the house and is also set on a mortared stone foundation. <br /> Windows on the house consist of a mix of double-hung 6/1 sash,which are used individually and in pairs. A small shed dormer <br /> is centered on the west roof slope with a larger shed dormer on the east side. Spanning the rear elevation is a single-story <br /> addition set on posts and an exterior wooden staircase. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The original owner of this early 20th century house was David Hennessey, an Irish-born gardener. Hennessey appears to have <br /> assembled the land from several sources. The first transaction dates to 1912 when he bought what was Lot 5 on the Charles W. <br /> Shippee plan from Sarah Bruce of Waltham. Additional land was purchased from May Aldrich in 1919. <br /> Directories indicate that in 1915 Hennessey was a farm employee and was living at 40 Lincoln Street. The 1920 U.S. Census <br /> indicates that David,then 48,had come to the US in 1888 and lived with his wife Margaret and three grown daughters. David <br /> Hennessey was still living here in 1942. The property was owned by members of the Hennessey family until 1989 when it was <br /> sold by Katherine Reilly's estate. The present owner purchased the property in 1993. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Middlesex County Register of Deeds, Cambridge, Mass. <br /> Town Directories. <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />