Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 32 LINCOLN STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> This property consists of a modest 1 ''/2-story, cross-gabled cottage set on a mortared stone foundation with a rear wing and <br /> lateral ell connecting to a garage/bam to the southwest. Stylistically,the house reflects no particular style but does incorporate <br /> elements which were popular during the Queen Anne Style including a clapboarded first floor with wood shingles above, <br /> bargeboards decorated by raised stickwork and squares and a turned post on the front porch. The gablefront of the main house <br /> block is a single bay wide with a later 20th century picture window on the first floor and a 6/6 double-hung sash above. The shed <br /> roof extension to the east(perhaps originally an open porch?)has a matching decorative bargeboard as does the shorter shed <br /> extension to the west which shelters a recessed porch. Under the porch roof the front entry has a glass-and-panel door. Two <br /> shed dormers with 3 x 2-light windows rise from the east roof slope with a single dormer on the west slope adjacent to the west <br /> cross gable. A two-story modern addition with deck is located to the rear of the house and a two-story ell spans from the rear <br /> wing to the two-story gablefront structure to the west which has a modern arched garage door on the first floor. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The early history of this property is not known at this time. Assessors records estimate the date of construction at 1832 but this <br /> has not been verified. The 1875 map indicates that the house was then owned by the heirs of John C. Blaisdell. The 1860 <br /> Census indicates that Blaisdell was then 50 years old, living with his wife Joanna and a servant. He was employed as an iron <br /> works agent. In 1886 the Blaisdell estate was sold to Moses Joy,Jr. In June of 1887 Joy was elected president of the Water <br /> Company. The following month he conveyed to L.E. Bennink 32 acres of land,the upland portion of Blaisdell's estate on <br /> Loring Hill. The house is shown on later historic maps (1898, 1906)but the ownership is not indicated. It may have been part <br /> of the water company property(see also 46 Lincoln Street?). <br /> Census records indicate that in 1920 the house was being rented by Walter and Charlotte Goddard. He was an insurance agent. <br /> In 1932 the house was occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Edson Bowman and Mr. and Mrs. Emil Nash. Frank Ayer was living here with <br /> his wife in 1942. In 1952 the property was sold by Marylou Steeves to Mildred Ayer(Conniff)who conveyed it to Chad and <br /> Joanne Gordon in 1971. Clifford and Eileen Sagner owned the property from 1971 to 1986. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Lexington Minute-man,July 2, 1886; July 22, 1887. <br /> Middlesex County Register of Deeds, Cambridge,Mass. <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />