Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> The 11 Larchmont Ln. property has several buildings on it: a Queen Anne farmhouse(MHC#762), an Italianate former school <br /> now used as an office(MHC#763), and a 20th-century garage. The house is one of several retardetaire farmhouses in Lexington <br /> (another example,though Italianate rather than Queen Anne, is at 290 Wood St. [MHC#696]), and the school, which retains <br /> some original Italianate finishes, is one of several reused 19th-century schools in town—two others, for example,now compose the <br /> house at 376 Lincoln St. (MHC#596). The farmhouse at 11 Larchmont Ln. is rectangular, 2%:stories,three-by-three bays,and <br /> front gabled with a side rear chimney. It is set on a fieldstone foundation; clad with vinyl siding except for the northwest elevation, <br /> which is clad with wood shingles;and roofed with asphalt shingles. On the southwest elevation is a one-story, one-by-two bay <br /> side-gabled addition with an exterior chimney;to it is attached a two-car garage with a low-pitched side-gabled roof. The main <br /> entry, covered by a porch, is on the facade;a secondary entry, covered by a porch with turned posts, is on the northeast elevation; <br /> windows are casements and 2/2 double hung sash. East of the house is the Italianate office. The original building is rectangular, <br /> 1%2 stories,three-by-three bays, and front-gabled. It is now clad with vinyl siding and roofed with asphalt shingles. A large <br /> square cupola in the center of the roof has modillions and a dentil course under its wide overhanging eaves, a finish that is repeated <br /> under the wide overhanging eaves on the gable ends, under the cornice over the frieze board that encircles the building, and under <br /> the eaves of the wall dormer on the southwest elevation. At the rear is a one-story shed-roofed addition connecting to a long one- <br /> story side-gabled building with front-gabled sections at either end. The 20th-century garage southeast of the office is three-by- <br /> four bays and front-gabled with a low-pitched roof. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ® see continuation sheet <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the <br /> role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The 11 Larchmont Ln. property was developed as part of the estate of George W. Taylor, a wealthy fire insurance agent who <br /> came to Lexington in the 1860s. Taylor lived on Massachusetts Ave. near what is now Harrington Rd. until the 1890s when he <br /> built a huge house on the hill south of Larchmont Ln. In 1896 he bought a 5.8-acre parcel on the other side of Larchmont Ln. <br /> where 11 Larchmont Ln. is now located. This parcel included a spring whose water Taylor marketed as Larchmont Spring Water. <br /> An ad in the 1899 Lexington Directory claimed that the water had been"analyzed by Bennett Davenport and pronounced by him <br /> A REMARKABLY PURE WATER, and excellent for Table Purposes." Larchmont Springs was apparently not in operation for <br /> very long, but Taylor purchased other parcels that adjoined it, eventually amassing an almost 12-acre area that became Larchmont <br /> Farm, now 11 Larchmont Ln. <br /> In April 1906 the town auctioned off the old Tidd School,which had been built on North Hancock St. in 1852 as the school for the <br /> north district, one of six such schools in town. Originally named the Bowditch School, the name was changed in 1888 to the Tidd <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ®see continuation sheet <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Revised and continued to 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society. <br /> Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1913. 1: 400-01; 2: 691. <br /> Kelley, Beverly Allison. Lexington:A Century of Photographs. Lexington, Mass: Lexington Historical Society, 1980. 66 34. <br /> Lexington Directory. 1899-1942. <br /> Lexington Minute-man. 28 April 1906. <br /> Lexington Town Reports. 1852-1853, 1858-1859. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists. 1906-1924. <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attach a completed National <br /> Register Criteria Statement form. <br />