Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON is LADE STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 2239 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 15 Lake Street occupies a long trapezoidal lot, with a modest front setback and narrow setback on the left side. Generally flat, <br /> the surface of the lot is dominated by concrete pavers, which form a U-shaped parking area/drive in front of the house and a <br /> long, wide driveway to the right of the house. The house consists of a 1 3/4 story main block and a larger, 2-story rear addition. <br /> The main block rises from a fieldstone foundation with deeply recessed joints to a front gambrel roof. Walls are clad with <br /> artificial siding and trim. Windows are typically 6/6 and 8/8 double-hung replacement sash on the main block, 8/8 on the rear <br /> addition. The front facade contains a full-width, hip-roofed porch with modern posts and railings. The offset entrance has a <br /> single-leaf, period door with multiple wood panels and a square glass pane. Paired windows are set to the left on the first floor. <br /> Two windows are symmetrically set on the second floor of the fagade, with a small window centered in the peak of the gambrel. <br /> The left side elevation has two widely spaced windows on the first floor and two shed dormers, each with one window, on the <br /> second floor. A narrow two-story rear addition at the left side of the main block appears to have a pitched roof and one window <br /> at the second floor. The right side elevation of the main block contains two pairs of windows on the first floor and two shed- <br /> roofed dormers of varied sizes on the lower slope of the gambrel. <br /> The large rear addition projects several feet to the side of the main block and rises to a large, steeply pitched gambrel roof. Its <br /> narrow front face (oriented towards the street) contains a single-leaf door under a small covered portico with wood steps. The <br /> long right side elevation of the rear addition has paired and tripled windows at the first floor. A shed-roofed dormer runs the <br /> entire length of the addition and encompasses one pair of large windows and three smaller, loosely grouped windows on the <br /> second floor. <br /> The outbuilding at the back right corner of the lot is 1 '/z stories high with a tall, front gable roof. Sheathed in wood or artificial <br /> clapboards, its fagade contains an offset, single-bay garage door and a single-leaf pedestrian door on the ground floor, a blind <br /> window opening centered above, and a vestigial hoist beam element near the peak. The side walls of this outbuilding are <br /> constructed of small ashlar blocks; one window is centered in the right side elevation. <br /> Well maintained, the original house at 15 Lake Street has suffered from the application of artificial siding and trim and the <br /> dominating scale of the rear addition. Nonetheless, it survives as an example of early suburban development in an outlying area <br /> of town. The house is notable for its front gambrel form, front porch, and the unusual composition and materials of its early <br /> outbuilding. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Lake Street appears on the town maps between 1875 and 1898. By the latter year, and at least through 1906, only four houses <br /> were dispersed along the street. No building is shown at this location in 1906. The 1922 directory lists no house numbered 15, <br /> although this building may have existed by that time. Mindful that street re-numbering (which was prevalent in Lexington in the <br /> early 1930s) may have occurred, a possible candidate for this property is the last odd-numbered house on the street in 1922, <br /> #11. That address was occupied by Jessie Ferry, a tree worker, and his wife Elsie. By 1935, house now numbered 15 was <br /> occupied by Norman C. Carr, an iceman with A. G. Davis Ice Co., and his wife Mabel H. From at least 1945 through 1965, the <br /> Continuation sheet I <br />