Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 17 HANCOCK STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 0 2132 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> The house at 17 Hancock Street occupies most of its narrow, deep lot on the main thoroughfare of Hancock Street. The building <br /> is set close to Hancock Street and to the left side property line, affording a wide setback on the right side of the lot, which the <br /> building faces. A straight paved driveway extends between the back of the house and the left side property line. Rising <br /> gradually up to the rear, the lot is maintained chiefly in lawn at the front of the house, with a variety of plantings in the setback <br /> between the street and the side elevation of the house. A brick walkway leads from the sidewalk to the front entrance. The <br /> building consists of a 2 '/2 story main block and one story side additions. <br /> The substantial, three by five bay main block rises from a fieldstone foundation to a side gable roof with two interior chimneys on <br /> the ridgeline. Walls are sheathed with wood clapboards and trimmed with sill boards, corner boards, and fascia boards. The <br /> second story overhangs the first story of the facade and the half-story overhangs the floors below on the left side (street) <br /> elevation. Both of these projections are elaborated with chunky pendants at the building corners and thick sawn brackets <br /> between the window bays. Windows typically have 6/6 double hung sash with band molding and hinged wood shutters. <br /> The five-bay fagade has a single-leaf center door accessed by a raised brick patio and brick steps. The left (street)side <br /> elevation contains three slightly asymmetrical windows on each floor, and a smaller window centered in the pedimented gable <br /> end. The rear elevation displays a center entrance with a single leaf door and a shed-roofed hood and a shed roofed projection <br /> to its left on the first floor; five asymmetrically placed windows on the second floor, and a shed dormer with two pairs of smaller <br /> windows. A one-story addition with a hip roof extends towards the back of the lot and is barely visible from the street. <br /> Well maintained and well preserved, 17 Hancock Street is a handsome, creative example of the mid-20th century Colonial <br /> Revival style. It is notable for the boldness of its scale and detailing, including the pendants and brackets at its wall overhangs, <br /> and for its siting perpendicular to a busy street. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Established by the early 18th century, Hancock Street is one of the radial roads leading outward from the meeting house in the <br /> town center. Numerous houses were already in place along the street by 1853, and by 1875 fashionable residences occupied <br /> most of the western side of the street. The eastern side of Hancock Street borders Merriam Hill and was more sparsely <br /> developed. By 1898, this property was part of a small, planned development known as Colonial Park, which consisted of 10 lots <br /> laid out around the loop road now called Goodwin Drive on what had been the estate of M. H. Merriam. Merriam moved to <br /> Oakland Street and left his house standing in the center of the loop road. <br /> 17 Hancock Street was built between 1927 and 1930. Its first known occupants were Walker L. Chamberlain (1891-1967), <br /> treasurer of a bank in the latter year, his wife Florence B., and his parents, Winston and Katie Chamberlain. (Winston, age 76, <br /> was still working as a gardener.) The Chamberlains remained in the house at least through 1945. Subsequent residents <br /> included Theodore E. Lannefeld, a chemist, and his wife Margaretha (1955) and Robert L. Seaman, a businessman ("ass't <br /> comptr.")and his wife Jacqueline B. (1965). <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Continuation sheet I <br />