Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM CONTINUATION SHEET Town Property Address <br /> LEXINGTON 13 HANCOCK AVENUE <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> MASSACHUSETTS ARCHIVES BUILDING <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD © 111 <br /> BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: <br /> This was one of a number of houses local builder and contractor John L.Norris constructed on Hancock Avenue in the <br /> late 19th century. A brief mention appeared in the Lexington Minute-man on May 10, 1873 and read: <br /> Mr. W.R. Cutter has sold his cottage on Hancock avenue(the present#11)to Mr. J.L.Norris, and has bought of <br /> Mr.N.the new house just finished on the extreme right of the street. <br /> William Richard Cutter(b. 1847)was born in Woburn and became a resident of Lexington in 1871 and served on the <br /> school committee for several years before returning to Woburn in 1882 where he had been elected librarian of the Public <br /> Library. He was a noted historian and genealogist and wrote a history of the town of Arlington as well as a number of <br /> publications for the New England Historic Geneaological Soceity. <br /> The 1889 map shows the house was then owned by C. Swan. Directories indicate that Charles B. Swan worked for the <br /> Boston&Maine Railroad. He was still here in 1894 but had moved to Elm Avenue by 1899. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY: <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Cambridge: The Riverside Press Co., 1913,vol. 2,p. 156. <br /> Lexington Minute-man,May 10, 1873. <br /> Supplement prepared by: <br /> Lisa Mausolf <br /> July 2009 <br />