Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 12 Hancock Avenue <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> The house at 12 Hancock Avenue was originally a simple 2 %2-story gablefront which was just two bays wide(similar to 13 <br /> Hancock Avenue). In this case,the house was later expanded by a 20'h century addition on the west side,resulting in an <br /> asymmetrical gablefront. What was a sidehall entrance was updated with a Colonial Revival fanlight and sidelights, sheltered by <br /> a pedimented porch resting on two pairs of Doric columns. Other alterations include the tripartite windows next to the entrance, <br /> the west porch and the garage underneath. An original single-story,three-sided bay window is located on the east side. Most of <br /> the windows contain 2/2 sash. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> On October 4, 1873 the Minute-man reported that Mr. J.L.Norris had"sold the house last built by him on Hancock Avenue to <br /> A.L. Scott"for$3,000. Beginning in the early 1870s local builder and developer John L.Norris had constructed five mansard- <br /> roof cottages on the north side of Hancock Avenue (at 3,5,7,9 & 11)as well as a 2 '/2-story gablefront dwelling at 13 Hancock <br /> Avenue. He also constructed a gablefront dwelling for himself at 8 Hancock Avenue and lived there until 1875. Norris went <br /> onto become the driving force behind the development of the Bloomfield Street neighborhood in the 1880s and lived at 1430 <br /> Massachusetts Avenue. He was also a trustee of the Lexington Savings Bank and built the Norris Block at Lexington Center. <br /> The original owner of the house,A.L. Scott,was employed by the railroad. He is shown as the owner on the 1889 map but died <br /> the following year. The next owner was likely William Crowther, a provisions merchant who was born in England and became <br /> a Lexington resident in 1899. He and his wife Ethel were living here in 1910. By 1920 the house was occupied by Albert and <br /> Carolyn Carson. He was employed as an insurance inspector. The couple was still here in 1930, along with their two daughters <br /> and a brother-in-law. <br /> Later owners included Clifford and Helen Castle(?-1969),Marcia and Thomas Trainor(1969-1978) and Edward and Nonie <br /> Ward(1978-1997). <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Cambridge: The Riverside Press Co., 1913,vol. 2,p. 137 & 610. <br /> Lexington Directories,various years. <br /> Lexington Minute-man, October 4, 1873. <br /> Sanborn Insurance maps,various years. <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> 1875, 1889 maps <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />