Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM CONTINUATION SHEET Town Property Address <br /> LEXINGTON 11 HANCOCK AVENUE <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> MASSACHUSETTS ARCHIVES BUILDING <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD © 112 <br /> BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: <br /> This was one of a number of houses local builder and contractor John L.Norris constructed on Hancock Avenue in the <br /> late 19th century. A brief mention appeared in the Lexington Minute-man on September 14, 1872 and read: <br /> Mr. J.L.Norris has sold to Mr. J.N. Morse,the cottage lately built by him on Hancock avenue,with 12,215 feet <br /> of land, for$3500. Mr.Norris has a nice residence for himself opposite, and we understand it is his intention to <br /> build two cottages more,beyond Mr. Morse's. This will fill up one side of the avenue as far as the railroad with <br /> houses of a uniform finish. <br /> John Noyes Morse(b.1844)was a Civil War veteran who was severely wounded at Poplar Grove Church resulting in his <br /> discharge in January 1865. He was captain in the State Militia in 1866 and became a resident of Lexington in 1869. <br /> On May 16, 1874 the newspaper included a brief description of a surprise party Mrs. Morse gave her husband for his <br /> birthday. "About fifty friends gathered at his residence on Hancock Avenue. A nice supper was prepared and enjoyed. <br /> The Arlon Quartette was present, and contributed much to the pleasure of the evening"(Lexington Minute-man,May 16, <br /> 1874). <br /> J.N. Morse worked as a cashier in Boston for many years. He was still living here in 1932. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY: <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Cambridge: The Riverside Press Co., 1913,vol. 2,p. 441. <br /> Lexington directories,various dates. <br /> Lexington Minute-man, Sept. 14, 1872; May 16, 1874. <br /> Supplement prepared by: <br /> Lisa Mausolf <br /> July 2009 <br />