Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 23 COTTAGE STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 0 2212 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 23 Cottage Street occupies a small, flat corner lot. The building is set to one side of its lot, with a modest front setback and <br /> narrow setbacks on the left side and rear. The lot is maintained chiefly in lawn, with a paved patio and walkway between the left <br /> side of the house and the street, and a large paved parking area on the right side of the lot. The building consists of a simple <br /> rectangular block with a modest cross-gabled pavilion on its left side. <br /> The rectangular main block rises 2 '/2 stories from a granite rubble foundation to a front gable roof with no gable returns. An <br /> interior chimney is set at the ridgeline in the center of the building. Walls are clad with artificial siding and trim. Windows are <br /> typically 1/1 double hung replacement sash with no trim. The two bay fagade contains an offset entrance porch and a one-story <br /> angled bay window on the first floor,joined by a continuous hip roof. Decorative metal posts support the porch roof, and similar <br /> railings line the edges of the wood deck and concrete steps to the side. Two windows are symmetrically set at the second floor, <br /> and one window is centered in the attic level. <br /> The right side elevation of the house is asymmetrically composed, with one window on the first floor and two widely spaced <br /> windows on the second floor. The left side elevation is distinguished by a two-story gabled pavilion towards the back, casement <br /> windows on the first floor and a single window centered in the second floor. A small gabled vestibule with a single leave door <br /> facing the front of the property projects from the first floor. The back elevation features one window centered in the half-story, <br /> two symmetrically placed windows at the second floor, and a one double-hung window and a triplet of casement windows on the <br /> first floor. <br /> 23 Cottage Street is a relatively substantial house in its modest neighborhood. Although it has lost its original siding, trim, and <br /> details, notable surviving features include its vertical massing and cross-gabled side pavilion, prominent corner location, and <br /> entrance/bay window combination. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Cottage Street is first depicted in the 1875 Beers atlas, a U-shaped road squeezed into the acute angle between Woburn Street <br /> and the Middlesex Central (later Boston & Maine) Railroad tracks. The railroad arrived in Lexington in 1845-46. By 1875, five <br /> buildings were already lined up along the long portion of Cottage Street that is parallel to Woburn Street. Many of the buildings <br /> on this streetscape were moved here from Massachusetts Avenue (when that thoroughfare was developed with more upscale <br /> houses in the mid 1916 century) and housed Irish immigrants who worked on the railroad. <br /> The undeveloped property now occupied by 23 Cottage Street was owned by Aaron P. Richardson (1791-1874), a successful <br /> blacksmith: in 1870 he owned real estate valued at$3,000. Richardson's property(bounded by Woburn and Cottage streets <br /> and the railroad tracks)was subdivided into 13 small parcels by 1898, when the present building first appears on the maps. In <br /> 1906, W. O'Hern (possibly a misspelling of Ahearn) is named at this property; no information is presently known about this <br /> owner. <br /> The first known residents at this address were Bartholomew D. Callahan and his wife Elizabeth from at least 1910 through 1922. <br /> Bartholomew worked variously as a teamster, engine wiper, gardener, laborer, and machine operator in a pipe fitting plant. <br /> Renters, the Callahans occupied the house with their seven children and a boarder in 1910. Subsequent residents included <br /> Continuation sheet I <br />