Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 1:54:35 PM
9/18/2018 1:54:35 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 99 BOW STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> The house at 99 Bow Street is the best preserved of several similar modest,hip-roofed dwellings in this neighborhood(others <br /> include 89 Bow Street and 107 Bow Street). Until recently,the house retained a clapboarded exterior; it is now sheathed in vinyl <br /> siding. The steeply-pitched hip roof is sheathed in asphalt shingles and there is a hip dormer centered on the front slope. The <br /> fagade is three bays wide with a shed-roofed porch sheltering the center entrance. The windows contain 1/1 replacement sash <br /> and are flanked by shutters. A deck has been added on the south side. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This property was part of the Massachusetts Avenue Terrace subdivision laid out by J.W. Wilbur in 1909 (Plan Book 182,Plan <br /> 8). This is one of several subdivisions that Wilbur,who lived in Brookline, developed in East Lexington in the early 20ffi <br /> century. What is now Bow Street,was originally known as Wilson Avenue. <br /> This house appears to have been constructed in the 1920s. The earliest known owner was Dionizia DeMarties who was living <br /> here by 1930 with his wife Anarelda. (Census records list him as Dion Demattis and his wife Annie). The couple had <br /> immigrated from Italy in 1897 and in 1930 their house was valued at$6000. Dionizia's occupation is listed as candy maker in <br /> the local directory and as water department worker in the 1930 Census. <br /> The current owners,William&Nora Savage,purchased the property in 1964. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Middlesex South Registry of Deeds, Cambridge,MA <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.