Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 72 BOW STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> The house at 72 Bow Street is one of several gambrel-fronted dwellings in this neighborhood and was built according to the <br /> same plan as its neighbor at 68 Bow Street. Sheathed in vinyl siding,the house rests on a rusticated concrete block foundation. <br /> It is two-stories in height with a sidehall entry containing a wooden and oval glass door sheltered by a simple gable door hood. <br /> Adjacent to the entrance is a single-story,three-sided bay window. A similar bay window is also located on the south elevation. <br /> Windows contain 1/1 replacement sash. <br /> To the west of the house is a detached,hip-roofed garage constructed of rusticated concrete blocks with two modern garage <br /> doors facing Melrose Avenue. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This property was lots 33-35 of the Massachusetts Avenue Terrace subdivision laid out by J.W. Wilbur in 1909 (Plan Book 182, <br /> Plan 8). This is one of several subdivisions that Wilbur,who lived in Brookline, developed in East Lexington in the early 20"' <br /> century. What is now Bow Street,was originally known as Wilson Avenue. <br /> The earliest known owner was William Waite who was living here by 1930. He was the manager of a fish business. His wife <br /> Hanna had come to this country from Sweden. The couple was still living here in 1942. The property was purchased by <br /> Alexander Liazos in 1973. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Middlesex South Registry of Deeds, Cambridge,Mass. <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />