Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 38 BOW STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> Located at the corner of Bow and Theresa, 38 Bow Street is an early 20th century 2 'h-story gablefront dwelling which lacks <br /> reference to any specific architectural style. The house is set on a rubble foundation and is clad in wood shingles which are <br /> installed without cornerboards. The eaves project slightly and are finished with a boxed cornice. Projecting for the center of the <br /> fagade is a flat-roofed, enclosed entry porch with continuous 1/1 windows resting on a shingled wall. There is a double-hung 8/1 <br /> window on either side of the porch with two slightly smaller 6/1 windows in vertical alignment on the second floor of the fagade <br /> and two smaller 6/1 windows in the attic. A single-story bay window projects from the south elevation and there is a gable <br /> dormer rising from the south roof slope. <br /> To the north of the house is a well-preserved, early 20th century garage. The wood-shingled structure is capped by a low hip roof <br /> and has double doors facing Bow Street. Each leaf has 4 x 2-lights over two horizontal recessed panels. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s)the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This property comprises Lots 19 and 20 of the J.W. Wilbur Subdivision known as Massachusetts Avenue Terrace and initially <br /> laid out in 1909 (Plan Book 182,Plan 8). This is one of several subdivisions that Wilbur,who lived in Brookline,developed in <br /> East Lexington in the early 20th century. What is now Bow Street,was originally known as Wilson Avenue until about 1930. <br /> In 1930 the house was occupied by Geza Hauck and his wife,Mary. He worked as a mechanic at 409 Massachusetts Avenue. <br /> In the early 1940s this house was occupied by Clifford and Rubie Faulkingham. Muriel and Steward Langill owned the property <br /> from 1948 until 1978, followed by Susan and Kenneth Deen from 1978 to 1989. The present owner acquired the property in <br /> 1989. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Middlesex South Registry of Deeds, Cambridge,MA <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />