Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 1:54:23 PM
9/18/2018 1:54:23 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
BUILDING FORM <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 3 Bow St. is one of the dwindling number of 19th-century post-and-beam barns remaining in Lexington and one of the few that has <br /> been converted to commercial use. The building is rectangular,two stories,three-by-five bays, and front-gabled with a side <br /> chimney. Its foundation is not visible, it is clad with wood shingles, and roofed with asphalt shingles. At the rear is a 1'/Z-story <br /> three-by-two bay gabled addition with a side exterior chimney. There are two entrances on the front gable end with a picture <br /> window between them and an additional entrance at the rear. The barn has eave returns that have been boxed in, comerboards, <br /> side frieze boards, and a hay door on the south elevation. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the <br /> role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Lexington assessors' records indicate that this barn was standing in 1831 but not exactly when it was built, for these records do <br /> not list individual buildings before 1831 or between 1831 and 1840. The barn was probably built by Micajah Locke,who lived in <br /> the house in front of it at 109 Massachusetts Ave. (MHC 4634)and had bought the property in 1812. The barn's post-and-beam <br /> framing and five-sided ridge pole are certainly characteristic of Federal period barn construction. In 1847 when the railroad,now <br /> the bikepath, was laid out behind the barn,the surveyors apparently erred, for the railroad's property line cuts through a corner of <br /> the building. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists. 1812-1870. <br /> Middlesex Registry of Deeds. Deeds. Cambridge, MA. 199: 316. <br /> Douglas Touart, personal communication 1998. <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attach a completed National <br /> Register Criteria Statement form. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.