Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
11/30/2018 2:38:59 PM
9/18/2018 1:54:21 PM
Property - StreetNumber
Bow Street 0026
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 26 BOW STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 1552 <br /> _x_Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 26 Bow Street is a well-preserved duplex in the Four Square style, dating to the early 20th century. It rests on a rubble <br /> foundation and is sheathed in wood shingles. The hip roof has a prominent front gable dormer and overhanging eaves that <br /> shelter two bay projections on the fagade. The north half of the fagade is fronted by a single-story porch supported by Tuscan <br /> columns. The stick balustrade is of recent construction and replaces an earlier"X"balustrade. Windows contain a mix of <br /> individual,paired and tripartite windows with 4/1 and 6/1 sash. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> This property comprises Lots 13 & 14 of the J.W. Wilbur Subdivision known as Massachusetts Avenue Terrace (Plan Book 182, <br /> Plan 8). This is one of several subdivisions that Wilbur,who lived in Brookline, developed in East Lexington in the early 20th <br /> century. What is now Bow Street,was originally known as Wilson Avenue. The lot was purchased from Jacob Wilbur by <br /> Emma Wiggins in 1909. The deed included a restriction that no house valued less than$800 be erected. In 1916 Emma <br /> Wiggins,wife of Ferdinand, conveyed the property to John A. Wiggins of East Lexington(Book 4053, Page 164). In 1922 one <br /> unit was occupied by Joseph H. Wiggins, a meat dealer,while the other was rented to Howard Foster, an advertising solicitor. <br /> The property remains in the Wiggins family today. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Middlesex South Registry of Deeds, Cambridge,Mass. <br /> Town Directories <br /> U.S. Census,various years. <br /> Continuation sheet 1 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.