Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 69 PLEASANT ST. <br />(11-15-17 LINC COLE LANE) <br />MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br />220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br />Continuation sheet 2 <br />LEX.2512 <br />Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br />ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br />Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br />Dating to 1895, the Wellington House is a two-story, 3 x 2-bay, hip-roofed dwelling that looks to the Colonial Revival for <br />inspiration while freely mixing in elements of the Queen Anne style. Sheathed in clapboards, the house is set on a mortared <br />fieldstone foundation and capped by an asphalt-shingled roof with two hip-roofed dormers punctuating the front roof slope. A <br />two-story, fluted pilaster set on a paneled base is located at each end of the façade. The cornice is decorated by modillions and <br />originally the roof was crowned by a balustrade. Centered on the three-bay façade, the center entrance contains double doors <br />flanked by partial sidelights. The entrance is sheltered by a flat-roofed porch displaying pilasters and pairs of fluted columns set <br />on brick bases. Historic photos indicate that originally there was an ornate balustrade on the porch roof and the front appears to <br />have been enclosed by conservatory glass. The stone patio platform fronting the façade appears to have originally been <br />enclosed by a balustrade. <br />The variety of windows on the building reflects the concurrent Queen Anne style. The first floor windows on either side of the <br />entrance porch are double-hung 18/2 with entablature lintels; originally they were flanked by blinds. Centered above the porch is <br />an ornate multi-pane Palladian window which is flanked on each side by a smaller 24/4 sash that is without an entablature lintel. <br />The secondary entrance on the southwest elevation displays an entablature surround with Ionic pilasters and partial sidelights; <br />the adjacent window is an angled bay window while upstairs there are 24/4 windows. The northeast (side) elevation has a six- <br />sided, single-story projection with 2/1 windows toward the façade and a two-sided bay window on brackets toward the rear. <br />Behind the main house block, the two-story hip-roofed ell is simpler in its detailing, lacking the modillion cornice and punctuated <br />by simple 12/2 and 2/2 windows. The foundation is brick. A small single-story wing is located beyond the ell. <br />Until recently (2022) a single-story detached barn with back shed was located to the west of the house. Along Pleasant Street <br />there were two distinctive pillars constructed of mortared fieldstone. Each consisted of a taller post with a curving section linking <br />to a shorter outside post. The stone pillars were removed in 2023. There were also at one time a windmill (not extant), chicken <br />coop (removed 1960), a Colonial Revival well house (removed about 2017).1 <br />HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br />Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local (or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br />owners/occupants played within the community. <br />This house was built about 1895 for Cornelius Wellington and his three sisters after they sold the historic Wellington farm on the <br />old Concord turnpike that had been in the family since 1707 (177 Concord Avenue, LEX.553). Cornelius Wellington (1828-1909) <br />was one of thirteen children of Peter and Hepzibah Wellington. He was a dry goods merchant and farmer and also served as <br />tree warden for many years. Late in life, Cornelius lived here with his three sisters, Mrs. Louisa Peaslee, Miss Eliza Wellington <br />and Miss Caroline Wellington.2 Caroline Wellington (1820-1916) and Louisa Peaslee (1834-1924) were early members of the <br />Woman Suffrage League of East Lexington, formed in 1887.3 In July 1895 the Lexington Minute-Man reported that the <br />Wellington siblings would “move nearer the village and build a house on a lot of land which they own on Pleasant Street”.4 <br />1 Information from Ann Storer, 2023. <br />2 Lexington Minute-Man, 4 Sept. 1909 <br />3 Lexington Minute-Man, 7 Dec. 1912 and 6 Nov. 1915. <br />4 Lexington Minute-Man, 14 July 1895.