Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:43:39 PM
9/18/2018 2:43:39 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
BUILDING FORM <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> The 170 Wood St. property includes three 20th-century eclectic buildings that are unique in Lexington. The main building,built <br /> as a residence and still used as one, is rectangular with a side porch,three stories on the front and one at back(it is built into the <br /> side of a hill), six-by-three bays, and side-gabled with a rear chimney. The upper story is clad with wood shingles and the lower <br /> ones with cut fieldstones set in concrete. On the facade,the top story has two sets of triple double hung windows, the middle story <br /> six evenly-spaced casement windows, and the lower story louvered windows. The asymmetrical roof slopes down further at the <br /> back than at the front,the rear chimney is in a dormer-like structure, and on the north elevation is a one-story side-gabled enclosed <br /> porch. The middle building,originally a garage, is stuccoed, rectangular,one story,two-by-three bays, and side-gabled with a <br /> very low-pitched roof and an end chimney. The third building, once a barn, is rectangular, 2'/2 stories in front and V2 in back <br /> (again built into the side of a hill),three-by-three bays, and front-gabled with exposed rafter ends. The gables are clad with <br /> clapboards and the rest of the structure with fieldstones set in concrete. On the facade are paired windows in the gable,three <br /> window openings on the second story, and a garage door flanked by windows on the first. There are long windows on either side <br /> and a hay door in the rear gable. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the <br /> role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Although these buildings are thought to have been built about 1940, Lexington assessors' records indicate that the house was <br /> actually built in 1918 and the garage and barn in 1923 at a time when the property was owned by Essie J. Earle. Mrs. Earle <br /> owned a large amount of land on both sides of Wood St.; she lived in the farmhouse on the east side of the street and may have <br /> built these buildings for farm employees. In 1938 this property was acquired by Gail and Helen Smith and became known as the <br /> Old Smith Farm. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists. 1919-1929. <br /> Middlesex Registry of Deeds. Deeds, Plans. Cambridge, MA. 4116: 156 (1917); 4844: 381 (1925); 4878: 151 (1925); 5034: <br /> 241 (1926); 5293: 64 (1928); 5473: 61 (1930); 5629: 476 (1932); 5729: 358 1933); 6251: 174 (1938); Pl. Bk. 198, Pl. 12. <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attach a completed National <br /> Register Criteria Statement form. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.