Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:43:36 PM
9/18/2018 2:43:36 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
BUILDING FORM <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> The Schumacher Barn has been described as an "elegant example"and"important document"of 19th-century post-and beam- <br /> construction, significant as one of the few surviving examples in Lexington of a post-and-beam barn and because of the elaborate <br /> strut work that supports the roof and the traditional division of interior space. In addition,the barn is still in its original <br /> relationship to the Schumacher farmhouse at 148 Wood St. (MHC#693)and other farm buildings even though it is no longer <br /> part of that property. The barn is rectangular, 1'/z stories,three-by-four bays, and front-gabled. It had transom lights over the <br /> main door, a hay door, and a full cellar. On the interior,the timbers have circular saw marks,are pinned with machine-turned <br /> dowels with hand carved points, and the studs are toenailed with machine cut nails. There is a cow tie-up on the southern,and <br /> warmer, side of the barn and a hay loft in the story above. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the <br /> role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The Schumacher Barn was built as part of the farm at 148 Wood St. (MHC#693)but is now on a separate lot owned by the <br /> owner of the 170 Wood St. (MHC #695)property. Although many architectural features of the barn suggest a mid-19th century <br /> construction date(see above), Lexington assessors' records indicate that the barn was built in 1889 when the farm was owned by <br /> Joseph Ballard. There was no barn at all before that date on the property,which Ballard had acquired in 1879 after the person <br /> who built the farmhouse in 1876 had defaulted on a mortgage. Lexington assessors' records also show that the value of the barn <br /> quadrupled between 1899 and 1900 when the farm was owned by Joseph's son Ernest K. Ballard, suggesting that the barn was <br /> enlarged or improved in 1899. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Grady, Anne A. "The Schumacher Barn: Architectural and Historical Significance." March 1988. On file with Lexington <br /> Historical Commission, Lexington, MA. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists. 1879-1900. <br /> Middlesex Registry of Deeds. Deeds. Cambridge, MA. 1502: 332, 335; 1507: 326; 2626: 130. <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attach a completed National <br /> Register Criteria Statement form. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.