Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:43:23 PM
9/18/2018 2:43:23 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE (Describe important architectural features and <br /> evaluate in terms of other buildings within the community.) <br /> This three-bay-long, one-room-wide, two-and-a-half-story house on a field- <br /> stone foundation has a profile very similar to that of nearby late nineteenth <br /> century houses. This house was, however, moved to this location from elsewhere <br /> in town, and certain exterior finishes reveal its mid-nineteenth century date <br /> of construction: the paneled corner boards, frieze board, and Greek Revival <br /> doorway with full length sidelights, paneled pilasters with simple caps, and a <br /> dentil course. <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE (Explain the role owners played in local or state <br /> history and how the building relates to the development of the community.) <br /> This house was originally located on the east side of Massachusetts Avenue <br /> at the south end of Tower Park near the intersection with Marrett Road. It was <br /> apparently built sometime between 1853 and 1875 and was owned in the latter <br /> year by Alfred D. Cutler, who moved from Lexington in 1877 and later became <br /> Chief of Police in San Francisco. In 1889 it was owned by Dr. Parker Kenison, <br /> a chiropodist who practiced in Boston and lived elsewhere in Lexington, and in <br /> 1898 by the estate of W. Pierce. In 1906 a house is still shown on the site in <br /> East. Lexington, this time owned by George L. Lothrop, a traveling salesman, but <br /> one is also shown on the present location at the corner of Woburn and Utica <br /> streets, the latter owned by Patrick Costello, a laborer. None of the available <br /> later atlas maps -- 1908, 1918, or 1927 -- show the East Lexington site, so it <br /> is not possible to ascertain exactly when this house was moved but, on the <br /> basis of the evidence available, it seems likely that this is the house shown <br /> in 1906 on the corner of Woburn and Utica streets and that it was moved between <br /> that date and 1898 and replaced with another house on the East Lexington site. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES (name of publication, author, date and publisher) <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington, revised and continued to <br /> 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society, Volume II, pp. 152-153. Boston: <br /> Houghton Mifflin Company, 1913. <br /> "Notes made in 1941-1942." No. 58, Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library, <br /> Lexington, Massachusetts. <br /> 1852 map <br /> 1876 map (East Lexington) <br /> 1889 map (East Lexington) <br /> 1898 map (East Lexington) <br /> 1906 map (East Lexington) <br /> 1906 map (Lexington) <br /> 1887 Directory <br /> 1906 Directory 10NI - 7/82 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.