Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:40:45 PM
9/18/2018 2:40:45 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
BUILDING FORM (462 Waltham Street) <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of the building in terms of other buildings within the <br /> community. <br /> Originally constructed as a barn, 462 Waltham Street is a 2 1/2-story building oriented with its gable to the street and set <br /> above a brick foundation. The building is now sheathed in wood shingles and displays a 3 x 2-bay massing which is no doubt <br /> quite different from the original configuration. Centered on the gablefront is a six-panel door flanked by partial sidelights and <br /> capped by a semi-elliptical fan. (Sanborn maps indicate that at one time a single-story entrance porch fronted the door.) The <br /> windows contain 6/6 sash with exterior storm windows,plain surrounds and shutters. Lighting the attic is a smaller 6/6 <br /> window without shutters. A brick chimney emerges from the north roof slope and the eaves project slightly and are without <br /> returns. <br /> The house is set a short distance from the road and there is a paved driveway to the north of the house. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Describe the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building and <br /> the role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The early history of this former barn is not known with certainty. The 1906 Atlas shows a cluster of buildings near this <br /> location owned by F.P. Kendall, a milk dealer. After Kendall's death in 1912, the land was sold and subdivided. It seems <br /> likely that this building(like the former barn at 259 Marrett Road, MHC #1087, also owned by Kendall) was converted to <br /> res. ential use at this time. <br /> <See 4/0 A4 a Y✓e'f f �d�1 <br /> j MC _* 6(12-) <br /> The building was inc ded in the"Farmhurst"subdivision laid out in 1918 and owned at the time by Neil McIntosh of Milton <br /> (Section 3, Lot 84). The former barn was probably converted to residential use at that time. In 1921 the property was owned <br /> by Clymer Long and included a house valued at$2800 and an outbuilding valued at$100 in addition to the 16,698 square <br /> foot lot. By 1928 the property had been purchased by Fred and Martha Ensign. He was employed as a watchman. <br /> Later owners included Ronald and Vera Meadows (c.1950). It was purchased by Arthur and Charlotte Maxner in 1955 and <br /> sold to Chantal D'Arleville in 1986. <br /> This was known as 452 Waltham Street until the mid 1930s. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Lexington Assessors Records. <br /> Le ington Directories, various dates. <br /> L xington Valuation Lists, various dates. <br /> Saiborn maps, 1927 and 1935. <br /> 1906 Atlas. <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attached a completed <br /> National Register Criteria Statement form. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.