Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:40:43 PM
9/18/2018 2:40:43 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
BUILDING FORM (439 Waltham Street) <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of the building in terms of other buildings within the <br /> community. <br /> Set on a low hill and shaded by trees, 439 Waltham Street is a 1 1/2-story, side-gabled dwelling which is sheathed in wood <br /> shingles and set above a fieldstone foundation. The building is fronted by a single-story porch supported by large Roman <br /> Doric columns set above a latticed wall which fronts the side stairs leading from the driveway to the front door. The porch is <br /> continued across the driveway by a porte cochere-like extension which is supported by longer Roman Doric columns and <br /> displays exposed rafters. (This appears to be an original feature and is depicted on the 1927 Sanborn Map.) Underneath the <br /> porch,the center entrance contains a wooden two-panel door with the upper panel consisting of a large single-pane window. <br /> Both panels are outlined by egg and dart moldings. On either side of the entrance is a three-side bay window with an <br /> individual 4/1 window on each face. Centered on the front roof slope is a hip-roofed dormer with exposed rafters and three <br /> 6/1 windows. The south elevation of the house consists of a broad gable punctuated by a variety of windows including 6/1, <br /> 4/1 and modern bay windows. The north elevation consists of a less-wide, asymmetrical gable with a single first floor <br /> window and two pairs of windows on the second story. <br /> A stone retaining wall encloses the front yard and a concrete driveway extends to the south of the house,terminating at a <br /> wood-shingled, hip-roofed,two-car garage with two individual, overhead doors on the front face. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> De cribe the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building and <br /> theole(s) the owners/occupants payed within the commu ity <br /> U ql o /mXY-rrel o- 7 <br /> This property comnrises Lotof Section 1 of the Farmhurst subdivision, laid out on land owned by Neil McIntosh in 1918 <br /> (Book of Plans 285, Plan 4). The earliest known owners of the house are William and Fannie Schwalm who are listed in the <br /> 1927 Valuation List as the owners of a house at 443 Waltham Street(as this was known until the mid 1930s)valued at <br /> $6000 and including a garage and 15,182 square feet of land. Directories indicate that this was a two-family residence, <br /> occupied by William and Helen Schwalm as well as Charles and Fannie Schwalm. William Schwalm was employed as an <br /> auto mechanic while Charles Schwalm was a printer. <br /> In the 1930s Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Roberts occupied the house. Annie and John Spencer purchased the house about 1940 and <br /> members of the Spencer family continued to occupy the house until 1979. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Lexington Assessors Records. <br /> Lexington Directories, various dates. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists, various dates. <br /> Sanborn maps, 1927 and 1935. <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked, you must attached a completed <br /> National Register Criteria Statement form. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.