Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:32:12 PM
9/18/2018 2:32:11 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE (Describe important architectural features and <br /> evaluate in terms of other buildings within the community.) <br /> This house, situated on one of Lexington's largest and most picturesque <br /> estates, holds the distinction of being the second house to have been designed <br /> by Willard Brown for the same foundation. Built thirty years after the original <br /> structure,which burned, this substantial Spanish Colonial dwelling includes features <br /> found in other buildings designed by Brown: stucco walls, red roofing;tiles, low <br /> hip roof with broad overhanging eaves, asymmetrical plan, and massing well--fitted <br /> to the site. The house incorporates a number of special features which must have <br /> resulted from collaboration between Brown and his good friend, J. Willard Hayden, <br /> (see continuation sheet) <br /> HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE (Explain the role owners played in local or state <br /> history and how the building relates to the development of the community.) <br /> Josiah Willard Hayden was the younger brother of Charles Hayden, philanthropist <br /> and founder of the investment banking firm of Hayden, Stone and Company. J. W. <br /> Hayden come to Lexington shortly after 1900. has first dwelling in southwest <br /> Lexington burned. In 1902 he employed Willard Brown to remodel two abandonned <br /> school houses into Ponywold, the house at 376 Lincoln Street. By 1905, Hayden <br /> had sold Ponywold. He commissioned Willard Brown to design the first Journey's <br /> End on this site on $hade Street in 1906. That house burned sometime bzfore <br /> 1937. Our knowledge of the first structure comes from plans, photographs and <br /> newspaper accounts in the album Willard Brown gave to the Lexington-Historical <br /> Society. Brown also designed an apartment for Hayden in the Somerset Hotel, Boston; <br /> the second Journey's End in 1937; and a summer home on Marblehead Neck thereafter. <br /> Hayden and Brown used to commute to Boston together, according to Brown's <br /> daughter. They collaborated on the 1915 and 1925 historical pageants in Lexington <br /> initiated by Hayden. <br /> The Hayden brothers were particularly interested in the welfare of children. <br /> J. W. Hayden endowed the Hayden Recreation Center in Lexington in his will and <br /> left the site of Journey's End to a children's hospital. The site was sold in <br /> the late 1950s to Cabot, Cabot . and Forbes Company, and for a while was to become <br /> the .location of a shopping center at the junction of Routes 2 and 128. Permission <br /> to build the shopping center was denied by the Town of Lexington, however. The <br /> current owner, Plato Spilios, purchased the property shortly thereafter. The <br /> house had stood vacant for a number of years and needed considerable repair and <br /> reglazing. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES (name of publication, author, date and publisher) <br /> Brown, Willard D. , "Scrapbook", Willard D. Brown Collection, Accession No. 7051, <br /> Lexington Historical Society, Lexington, MA. <br /> Schoenhut, Sara Emily Brown, List of buildings designed by Willard D. Brown, 1984, <br /> In possession of Anne Grady. <br /> Spilios, Plato, personal communication <br /> Worthen, Edwin B., "J. Willard Hayden", Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library <br /> 10M - 7/82 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.