Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:08:48 PM
9/18/2018 2:08:47 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 21 HIBBERT STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 0 2233 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 21 Hibbert Street occupies a small narrow lot, most of which is situated in the Town of Arlington. The street slopes gently up <br /> from right to left in front of the house, and the lot slopes up very slightly from the street. The house is positioned slightly to the <br /> north side of it parcel, with modest setbacks that are maintained chiefly in lawn with scattered shrubs and small trees. Asphalt- <br /> paved driveways are situated on both sides of the building. A concrete walkway extends from the sidewalk to the front <br /> entrance. <br /> The simple rectangular block rises 2 '/2 stories to a front gable roof with gable returns and a center chimney located at the <br /> ridgeline. Walls are clad with vinyl siding and trim. The second story walls flare out slightly at the base. Windows typically have <br /> 1/1 or 2/2 double hung sash. The two-bay front fagade has a substantial angled bay window on its southern half, which rises <br /> two stories to a gable roof with prominent gable returns; it has one window on each face on each floor. The northern half of the <br /> facade contains an off center entrance with a wood staircase, single-leaf door, and small square porch with paneled square <br /> posts supporting a low hip roof. A single 1/1 window is located above at the second story. <br /> The north (right side) elevation contains four regularly spaced windows on each story. The asymmetrical south (left side) <br /> elevation has three double hung windows on each floor and a small awning window near the center on each floor. <br /> Well preserved, 21 Hibbert Street is representative of early 20th century, middle class suburban housing in Lexington. The <br /> house is notable for its bold fagade massing, flared second story walls, and decorative porch. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the roles) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The small grid of streets bordered by Massachusetts Avenue, Hibbert Street, Taft Avenue, and Bowker Street represents an <br /> early area of suburban infill in East Lexington, near the Arlington town line. Immediately south of Taft Avenue is Liberty Heights <br /> (LEX.Q), a hilltop subdivision laid out by Brookline developer Jacob W. Wilbur in 1909 and developed in the teens and twenties. <br /> The growth of both these neighborhoods followed the arrival of the electric street railway on Massachusetts Avenue in 1899 and <br /> was directed at working class residents. <br /> In the area adjacent to Massachusetts Avenue known as Dexter Hillside, Hibbert and Sylvia streets, which straddle the <br /> Lexington/Arlington line, were laid out, platted, and partially developed by 1898. The only other evidence of development here at <br /> that time is the L-shaped beginning of Charles and Cherry streets, where ten house lots were laid out but vacant. By 1927, both <br /> Charles and Bowker streets extended from Massachusetts Avenue to Taft Avenue, and the western ends of Cherry Street, <br /> Stevens (then Cary) Road, and Camden (then Smythe) Street pushed a few lots eastward from Charles. Development was <br /> gradual through the 1920s and 30s and was virtually complete, with the present network of streets, by 1950. <br /> The Dexter Hillside development was conceived by Nathan Dexter Canterbury(1837-1912), who in 1895 began development of <br /> a large farm previously owned by Micajah Locke. A resident of Weymouth, Canterbury was a shoe and boot manufacturer, <br /> founded the East Weymouth Savings Bank and two Weymouth newspapers, and served as a state representative. Streets were <br /> given the middle names of Canterbury and his family. As reported by a local newspaper, <br /> Continuation sheet I <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.